Need help picking gaming computer motherboard + some advice

Popinjay42

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
Hello everybody,

I have done research into good parts for the computer I want to build, but I am afraid I do not know how to tell what motherboards are compatible with all the parts and have a good reputation. Also I need the MB to be able to use SLI even though I am only buying one video card now. I THINK that this card is SLI compatible (please tell me if it isn't), and I want the opportunity to buy a second card if the computer becomes too slow in a couple years.

I am not sure if many motherboards are compatible with the faster memory that I am buying.

Also if anybody can advise me on how large of power supply I would need I would appreciate it. I also quoted the prices that I got from newegg in case anybody thinks that I am paying too much.

These are the primary components I have picked out:

Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price

Update Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600 - Retail
Model #: BX80557E6600
Item #: N82E16819115003
Return Policy: Processors (CPUs) Return Policy
$317.00

Update OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2N1066SR2GK - Retail
$410.99

Update BELKIN F8E093 Anti-Static Wrist Strap - Retail
Model #: F8E093
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
$5.49

BFG Tech BFGR88640GTSE GeForce 8800GTS 640MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail
Model #: BFGR88640GTSE
Return Policy: Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Hopefully somebody can advise me.

Pop

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
You setup thus far looks pretty good, and don't worry about the post that was critizing you for getting the 8500 memory. It won't hurt anything (other than your wallet), and when you feel up to it, it's ability to OC will be appreciated (and you won't have to spend more $$ to get faster RAM).

The one thing I would stress to you is this: get the absolutely best power supply out there, and get a high capacity UPS/battery backup!

Other than spilling 2L of Mountain Dew on a powered-up PC, nothing will fuck-up your build worse than a piss-poor power supply.

Don't just get one that just meets your needs either; get one that greatly exceeds them. And stay away from modular PS too.

People on here can speak all they want about the power supplies from the various manufactures, but the only ones that are really worth the money are the ones from PC Power & Cooling. You will spend more $$ upfront, but no one can touch their quality, reliability, and stability. No one. They ain't afraid of taking the Pepsi Challenge from anyone.

My new rig will consist of the following:

EVGA 680i MB; E6300 CPU; 2GB PC2 8500 Corsair RAM; EVGA 8800 GTS; X-FI Platinum; Plextor PX755SA; Mitsumi Floppy/Memory Card Reader; 4x WD Caviar RE WD2500YS (three for RAID 5, one for external storage); Antec 900 case; and, a PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad (ordered from them directly and in black.

The PS was about $220 with shipping and worth every penny (8800 GTX SLI rated and with 15 drive connectors). I already have an APC UPS 1200 to smooth the incoming power.

Nope, not I am not a paid spokesman for them, just an unabashed fanboy.

Good luck with the rest of your build!

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
True true, however:

The price delta between the GTX and GTS is about $300 (depending on where you look). Additionally, the GTX is about 1.5" longer than its GTS brother, which could give people a difficult time getting one (or two), in their current case.

Now consider that these are only the first of the DX10 cards to roll out; future ones (from what I've read), are supposed to be smaller and need less power than the current ones. Both cards will kick any DX9 card in the ass and kick it hard!

Those are some of the reasons why I went GTS and not GTX. And a reason I went with that RAM selection is because I have read where this type of memory was more a match for Corsair's "Dominator" brand.

But hey- I don't know shite anyhow! :) I just got the fastest parts I could so that I could eliminate as many bottlenecks as possible, while allowing for some room for some crazy OCing! :) Plus that whole rig I built came out to just about $2000. Not bad, eh?

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
Hey, if he has money to burn, who am I to stop him. Point is, it's a waste. The OP never even mentioned OCing, if he isn't, that's an awful lot of money to spend to run the memory at 533.

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
I don't think we should stray too far from this topic. The OP was asking about a power supply and whether the parts he was thinking about buying would match/work.

At least he is smart enough to get a anti-static wriststrap- I don't even have one of those!

Besides, he may not OC now, but maybe in the future he will. OCing is a good, inexpensive way to squeeze a few more years out of a system. Hell, I wished I could OC my current dinosaur, but I think the components are physically beginning to fail anyhow.

Oh, and I get my new stuff on the 26th. Happy extend Xmas to me!

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
It must be a lack of sleep due to having a newborn in the house, but a prommie? I can't remember what that is.

Besides, the E6300 will go to at least 3GHz on air, and I think I saw it hit 3.5 on air as well. That's pretty good.

Another thing to note: the E6300 is a good entry-level C2D CPU. In a few years, the Quad Cores will be more affordable and (hopefully) more software will be able to take advantage of them! I am glad my new MB will support them.

PCAnalyst

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2006
Hello everybody,

I have done research into good parts for the computer I want to build, but I am afraid I do not know how to tell what motherboards are compatible with all the parts and have a good reputation. Also I need the MB to be able to use SLI even though I am only buying one video card now. I THINK that this card is SLI compatible (please tell me if it isn't), and I want the opportunity to buy a second card if the computer becomes too slow in a couple years.

I am not sure if many motherboards are compatible with the faster memory that I am buying.

Also if anybody can advise me on how large of power supply I would need I would appreciate it. I also quoted the prices that I got from newegg in case anybody thinks that I am paying too much.

These are the primary components I have picked out:

Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price

Update Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600 - Retail
Model #: BX80557E6600
Item #: N82E16819115003
Return Policy: Processors (CPUs) Return Policy
$317.00

Update OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2N1066SR2GK - Retail
$410.99

Update BELKIN F8E093 Anti-Static Wrist Strap - Retail
Model #: F8E093
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
$5.49

BFG Tech BFGR88640GTSE GeForce 8800GTS 640MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail
Model #: BFGR88640GTSE
Return Policy: Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Hopefully somebody can advise me.

Pop

Here is a great Combo deal that was posted on another thread today... it is the PNY 8800GTS and 2Gigs of DDRII 667 PNY Verto Memory for a grand total of $541... 100 bucks off the individual price.

Pony Combo at bottom of Page 12/23/06 7:30est

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
The only power supplies that are worth anything are all from PC Power & Cooling. There is a lot more to a PS than the optomistic numbers a lot of those manufacturers claim.