icons have changed on the desktop

Hi folks i have a weird problem all mydesktop icons have automatically
changed to winzip icons...and the problem is i have tried re-registering the
shell32.dll file but still the same problem exists i have also repaired
internet explorer and then done a windows update but still no help. can you
please help me with this strange issue

one more thing that i have noticed is winzip icons are overlapping on all
the changed icons....i think i can still see the original icons behind the
winzip icons

i am working on a windows 2000 operating system with dell GX 270
optiplex...with service pack 4 installed...

thanks for all your help

Santosh.R

I have the same problem on my desktop, except that my icons are overlapped by
an MSM messenger icon. Could it be a virus?

Michel H

"Santosh" wrote:

> Hi folks i have a weird problem all mydesktop icons have automatically
> changed to winzip icons...and the problem is i have tried re-registering the
> shell32.dll file but still the same problem exists i have also repaired
> internet explorer and then done a windows update but still no help. can you
> please help me with this strange issue
>
> one more thing that i have noticed is winzip icons are overlapping on all
> the changed icons....i think i can still see the original icons behind the
> winzip icons
>
> i am working on a windows 2000 operating system with dell GX 270
> optiplex...with service pack 4 installed...
>
> thanks for all your help
>
> Santosh.R

Hi it seems there is a problem the the Icon Cache with windows 2000 and it
seems if it gets corrupt you need to download and install a tweak win 2k and
rebuild the icons fromit...you can download it from this
site...http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/downloads/powertoys/networking
/nttweakui.asp

let me know in case if this helped you...

Santosh.R