Please help or board is going to be returned

kingnothing83

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2006
Hi, ive been having problems from the outset with this board and ill unfortunately have to return it unless anyone can make a suggestion of how i can resolve my issue. When the computer is on its bullet proof and never fails. The only issue is high cpu usage but i think that might be an OS problem that i can resolve. The problem is when i press the power on button there is a 2 second gap where nothing happens, then 50% of the time the computer starts normally. But the other 50% of the time the fans spin up and HDD light comes on but then it turns off, then on, then off, and so on, but never getting to the POST screen. Ive tried changing the ram, its definantly mounted correctly so not a grounding issue. Can anyone suggest antyhing else? If not the board will have to go back. The RAM is set to 1.85v in the bios even tho the board says it supports 1.8v so i will try changing that, but does anyone have another suggestion? Thanks very much

MSI P965 Neo
Core 2 Duo E6400
Antec Neo 500W PSU
Antec solo quiet case
2x DDR2 667Mhz RAM
PX7900 256MB Video Card
Seagate 7200 SATA Hard Disk
Maxtor IDE Hard disk
IDE DVD rewriter
Soundblaster XFi

dokk

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
Two suggestions,,1.try another psu,have read around various forums that some Antec psu's are a bit flaky,,,2, Try the Seagate hdd without the maxtor or vice versa,I just heard from an old friend ,the other day that he could not get a system running with a maxtor and ANY other hdd..
If you haven't done so,,check all ,,,your connections,,again..
AND do not let it spoil your holidays,ain't worth it....

kingnothing83

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2006
Thanks for your advice ill try the suggestions out. and your right, ill try my best to not let it spoinl the holidays :)

i tried memtest86+ v1.65 and it did indeed return an error

Tst Pass Failing address Good Bad Err bits Count Chan

7 0 0003a542934 - 933.1MB 3598fb6f 3598fb4f 00000020 1

Cached Rsvd Mem Mem Map Cache EEC Test Pass Errors EEC Errors

2049M 276M e820-std On Off Std 1 1 0

What does this mean? Im new to memtest. Does this definantly mean a memory problem or perhaps a motherboard problem relating to the memory? I ask because this is the 2nd totally different set of memory that is causing the same intermittant starting problem. I didnt however, run memtest on my last ram. Thanks a lot!

crazypyro

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
I had an OEM computer thats started to have similar problems, 50% of the time it would start up, the other 50% it wouldn't.

I gutted its parts everything except motherboard plopped them all in another computer, and everything worked.

Turned out that the motherboard power socket had a few connectors go bad, so sometimes i was getting full power other times it was cutting out after initial power up.

Not sure if yours is the same thing, but if you have a multimeter give it a check.