Need help!bought a switch couldnt connect, to the internet..

sogoatticus

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
I'm using Aztech DSL 305E modem...bought a switch for 2 pc usage..my internet is autodial...but

when i connect my laptop and pc through the switch, the pc couldnt get the internet

connection but my laptop can...but when i connect the pc direct to modem without

switch,the pc got the internet connection...the problem is when the pc connect through

the switch, it will says 'limited connectivity'...pls help

heres the ip from my laptop which connect through the switch...my laptop can get the connection..

Address Type: Assigned by DHCP

IP Address: 10.0.0.12

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 10.0.0.2

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
You are needing the router function, unless your ISP allows multiple IP.

You ISP is proably linking your account to your PC MAC address. Mine is that way, routers take care of this.

If you are needing the spped of the switch for gaming or file trasfer. Just install a router between the switch and modem.

sogoatticus

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
You are needing the router function, unless your ISP allows multiple IP.

You ISP is proably linking your account to your PC MAC address. Mine is that way, routers take care of this.

If you are needing the spped of the switch for gaming or file trasfer. Just install a router between the switch and modem.

i have already set the modem to router..but when i set to 'automatically obtain IP address' my pc will say limited connectivity....but my laptop can connect through it.....

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
If your modem has router functions, It needs to be set for DHCP on the LAN side. And I assume your ISP uses DHP too, if not set up as directed by your isp. You will proably need to clone your MAC address into the Router.

Not being famillar with your modem/router?
In order to share one IP address you need a router function.

A switch can not work as a router. A switch is good for moving traffic. But it can not share one IP, like a router. Your router needs to between your modem and switch/PC. You actually do not not need the switch with a router in place. It's only use would be to expand your system (ports).

Now if your IP will assign you a second IP, your switch will work.

Captain-M

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
Hi sogoatticus. I concur with the other replies as well. In addition, since you are using DHCP on your laptop, at a CMD window (start RUN), type IPCONFIG /RELEASE. This will free up the dynamic IP address. On your desktop, Open CMD window and enter IPCONFIG /RENEW. It may give you the same address, but since you dont have a router for your Local LAN, you will get the message "limited connectivity", you are limited for network connections. Then enter IPCONFIG /ALL to show IP address, DNS, Gateway, DHCP server, MAC, Lease session etc. With this setup, it is one or the other for your addressing. A switch is good for a local LAN, and file sharing. Good luck

mikeyp410

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Also if you are still getting issues after all of this try a new cable too. Or may be try it to start. Check the easiest things first.