Sign in with
Your question

Which Mobo's for Core 2 duo have onboard graphics?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Core
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
December 23, 2006 11:06:40 AM

Hi, I'm slowly sinking under a mass of info. I'm trying to identify the best mobo for a new build using either E6300 or E6400. I'm not going to overclock and am looking for onboard graphics and audio to keep costs lowish.

I thought I'd narrowed my search to MSI P965 Platinum vs Gigabyte GA DS3 vs ASUS P5B......however, none appear to have onboard graphics according to the reviews.

Please can anyone suggest a good mobo with onboard graphics? or have I missed something on the ones above??
Thanks
Colin

More about : mobo core duo onboard graphics

a b V Motherboard
December 23, 2006 11:41:03 AM

The Gigabyte 965G-DS3 is my choice for you as well.
December 23, 2006 12:36:24 PM

Gigabyte 965G-DS3
Related resources
December 23, 2006 4:34:16 PM

Many thanks for the replies. Started to look like the 965G DS3 is for me....but then I began looking at what I need to duplicate my PC monitor on my TV.
The kids want to view videos from the PC on both the PC monitor and the TV.
Does this mean I definitely will require a video card? If so what do I need to look for?
Many thanks once again.
Colin
December 23, 2006 6:30:58 PM

Quote:
Started to look like the 965G DS3 is for me....but then I began looking at what I need to duplicate my PC monitor on my TV.

Sounds like you want as basic a (PCI Express, correct?) video card as you can get that also supports TV out.

I was in a similar situation (... until I let myself make an impulse $106 purchase of an EVGA 7600GT over Black Friday :oops:  :roll:) . Here's a link to my old thread in case you want to scan it.

My take on the matter was that I was probably going to have to pay $30-$50 for a stand-alone video card. I couldn't find anything I considered suitable for less than that. I looked out on ebay thinking I might do better with someone selling a more capable previous generation card, but even there the prices seemed to bottom out at around $30 ... and usually the cards went for much more than that when counted in the shipping (who doesn't?).

My advice ... which I'm afraid is not worth much when it comes to video :(  ... would be to go for one of the NVIDIA 7000 cards, most likely a 7300GS or GT or possibly a 7600GS. (Or the equivalent ATI Radeon card ... I just don't know model numbers for ATI :oops: )

If you're willing to use Google Checkout "$20 off $50 purchase" you can sometimes get a good deal through Buy.com. I'd suggest keeping an eye on what's available via one of the various "bargain" monitoring sites. (For example, Ben's Bargains recent Video Card offers).

-john, the redundant legacy dinosaur
December 27, 2006 6:44:40 AM

Quote:
Many thanks for the replies. Started to look like the 965G DS3 is for me....but then I began looking at what I need to duplicate my PC monitor on my TV.
Does this mean I definitely will require a video card? If so what do I need to look for?
Many thanks once again.
Colin

Search for a card called ADD2 card. Its a seperate cheap card you buy to get additional connectors(DVI/TV, etc) that fits into your PCI-Express 16x slot for your integrated video. If the price is too steep for you, you'll have to find a dedicated video card, and it doesn't have to be a 7300GS or any recent one. You can get a ATI X300 or something, and it'll probably end up somewhat cheaper. Just ask for video cards that support TV-out and its cheap. I don't know how low you can go on the 3D performance, TNT2 enough?? :roll:
a b V Motherboard
December 27, 2006 7:55:46 PM

Quote:
Many thanks once again.
Colin
I was surprised to find that none of the 965G boards supplied DVI outputs. I use a socket 939 6150 integrated graphics board that has both D-sub as well as DVI outputs on board. The AM2 versions of this board has it also. Just something to think about if you're willing to consider AMD.

Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131014
!