CrystalShip

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Guys,

Just finished my new PC and I am getting this high pitched noise coming from it. It is pretty bad.

I have a crosshair motherboard
4200 am2 AMD cpu
7900gs vid card
corsair hx620w psu
4 sata seagate drives
sony dvd rom
2 gigs ocz ram

I think it is coming from the motherbord. Sounds like it may be near my ram or where the 24 pin connector is at the mobo. Any ideas why this would be happening and how to solve it.

I disconnected the video card and still got the noise. And when I I put my ear towards the psu/hard drives/dvd rom drives I don't hear it.

Everything is seperated nicely so it isn't near the motherboard.

Could this be a bad motherboard?

Thanks.

Ruger384

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
Make sure all your power conections are pluged in tight. I had same sound and turned out that the hard drive power cable wasnt pluged in.

EDIT(removed psu recommend....my bad....)

On the same note... my k8v se made a noise(near the cpu area)....but not as bad as you are making it sound....this sound when away when i put the case side on.....and it got louder the more i overclocked.....so i never over clocked that thing...was plenty fast anyway....

it may be normal...as coils and other electrical things can buzz and make noise....my brothers psu does it....yet it's rock stable(and i hope it stays that way).....

fainis

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
Guys,

Just finished my new PC and I am getting this high pitched noise coming from it. It is pretty bad.

I have a crosshair motherboard
4200 am2 AMD cpu
7900gs vid card
corsair hx620w psu
4 sata seagate drives
sony dvd rom
2 gigs ocz ram

I think it is coming from the motherbord. Sounds like it may be near my ram or where the 24 pin connector is at the mobo. Any ideas why this would be happening and how to solve it.

I disconnected the video card and still got the noise. And when I I put my ear towards the psu/hard drives/dvd rom drives I don't hear it.

Everything is seperated nicely so it isn't near the motherboard.

Could this be a bad motherboard?

Thanks.

sources of high pitch noise could be - psu, hdd (not the seek noise but the spin noise), optical drives, pc speaker, coolers, any coil on the motherboard or other cards (coils are used in power circuits, and same of them transport high intensity current therefore they generate noise), also same capacitors can generate noises like that (expecially electrolitics)...

unless they are not moving parts (hdds, coolers) components which create sounds are not necesary defective,

CrystalShip

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
I'm going to try to plug everything in again and see if that helps at all. My concern is more about noise than reliability here. I made this system with sound in mind and right now it is killing me.