Any thoughts on the new Liteon 20x's models? Upgrade needed

geminiguy

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2001
I look to the forum for your thoughts on the new Liteon 20'x models. I need an upgrade desperately and have been trying to find a review on either model, yet nothing so far.
Has anyone purchased one as of yet? Is it worth it for the longrun to get one, I've been out of work for awhile, so have little money to work with. This is an X-Mas gift for me and was given a choice, but the price is a concern, hence looking at the Atapi/Eide model.
I appreciate any feedback from the forum on this subject.

Case specs:

Mobo: Asus A7N8X-X
CPU: AMD Athlon 2800+ (Barton)
Memory: Corsair 512 DDR
Video: Nvidia FX 5700
HD's: Maxtor 80gig, 300gig

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I'd spend the premium price on a Plextor instead of a faster Lite-On, seeing as you likely won't miss the extra minute or so you'll save with the faster drive but will enjoy the better recording quality.

geminiguy

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2001
I wish I had the $$ for the Plextor, trust me. Unfortunately, this is a X-Mas gift from my roomie, he only gave me $30, I have been out of work since August of this year. I've been able to get that one job since I've moved to Florida 3 years ago! "overqualifed" 8O

So, it basically comes down to the cheapest one and the latest one on the market. That's why I am looking at the LiteOn 20x's dvdrw. I've been waiting to put in the new 300 gig hd I got when I 1st moved down here, due to no burner, my ex roomie took it when he left, that was my last X-Mas present from him, taking most of my tech stuff. :twisted:

I haven't been able to find a review on any of the 2 models on the market as of yet. I was hoping that maybe someone had already bought one on the forum to see how it compares to the 18x's one. I need this one to last me awhile, especially since I don't see a job coming up any time soon.

Thank you for the reply, I look forward to hearing back.

Merry X-Mas!! :)

Gem

TPLAT

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
I wouldnt waste my money on new Plextor, sofar I have been through three 760A burners, the first one worked fine for about 2 months the second one wrecked any type of RW media used in it, it would burn to the RW media fine but not any stand alone dvd player or any of eight other dvd burners I have would even recognise the disc, the third 760A had a problem recognising any type of disc that had some light scratches on it that all my other drives had no problems reading. The last quality drive that Plextor has made in my opinion is the 716 model, I have a 716SA over a year old and have never had a problem with it.

geminiguy

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2001
TPLAT,
Thanks for the input. I wish I could afford that one. My limit unfortunately is about $40 max, it's an X-Mas gift from my roomie. I can't even afford to give anything...so I am thankful. I am still searching reviews on the Lite-On 20x burner, but have only come across one, very odd.
Again, if anyone knows of one, I would greatly appreciate the imput. I have no burner right now and have approximately 190 gigs to burn before switching over to the 300gig hd. fun fun.

Merry Christmas all.

Gem

geminiguy

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2001
Honestly, I'm alittle puzzled by both sites. One states that it's a good drive, the other states it is not. I'm upgrading from nothing at this point and want to ensure the drive I do purchase is going to last me for alittle while.

My other questions being, is there a big dif between E-IDE/ATAPI and regular IDE? I know that my mobo, (Asus A7N8X-X) is ATAPI/E-IDE compatible. Which should I get? I have yet to come by any other reviews than the ones you have posted TPLAT. I still am unsure of which burner to purchase, it seems I have been going around in circles.

I appreciate any input or suggestions on this matter.

Thanks gang,

Gem

TPLAT

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
The Samsung SH-182 is a good drive, NEC 7170A excellent reader decent burner then the LG H22N excellent burner but lousy reader as it doesnt handel scratched discs to well. Right now I`m still testing the Samsung SH-183 sata burner, pretty good burner sofar but havent tested it reading a scratched disc. Out of the above the best all around drive to me would be the Samsung SH-182. As for E-IDE & IDE if your mobo supports both I wouldnt worry about that to much.

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/E/EIDE.html