External UV light

Does anyone know if someone makes an external UV light that could be used to
supplement the light of a camcorder? I need something I can leave outside
since I don't want to leave my camcorder outside.

I have noticed some webcams have UV capability and some also have motion
detection. Since I am trying to find out what type of animal is in my
backyard at night, something like that might be useful.

Any suggestions?

Clark
9 answers Last reply
More about external light

    On Sun, 01 May 2005 23:46:38 GMT, "Clark" <who@whoknows.com>
    wrote:

    >Does anyone know if someone makes an external UV light that could be used to
    >supplement the light of a camcorder? I need something I can leave outside
    >since I don't want to leave my camcorder outside.
    >
    >I have noticed some webcams have UV capability and some also have motion
    >detection. Since I am trying to find out what type of animal is in my
    >backyard at night, something like that might be useful.
    >
    >Any suggestions?
    >
    >Clark

    IR would probably be a better choise. UV can damage the eyes.
    Bunches of places sell IR LED arrays for night cam work.

    OK, I look but I did not see one at Fry's. They did have an add-on for a
    Sony Camcorder, but it would do me no good. Sorry about the UV thing.

    Thanks,
    Clark

    http://www.supercircuits.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=4590
    http://www.cctvco.com/infrared.html
    http://www.polarisusa.com/cgi-bin/product_listings.pl?listing_category_id=112

    On Mon, 02 May 2005 00:13:45 GMT, shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net (Si
    Ballenger) wrote:

    >>Does anyone know if someone makes an external UV light that could be used to
    >>supplement the light of a camcorder? I need something I can leave outside
    >>since I don't want to leave my camcorder outside.

    >>I have noticed some webcams have UV capability and some also have motion
    >>detection. Since I am trying to find out what type of animal is in my
    >>backyard at night, something like that might be useful.

    >IR would probably be a better choise. UV can damage the eyes.
    >Bunches of places sell IR LED arrays for night cam work.

    On top of that UV can show up wherever there is man made materials
    such as some plastics.

    Infrared LEDs can be bought by the 100 on ebay from china. I buy mine
    that way and in all should cost very little.

    All webcams can view light in the IR spectrum so no need to waste
    money on "grand" claims.

    I point one of my webcams out of my window and have wired up a bunch
    of IR LEDs off the branch of a tree to cover a certain area. (Using
    bell wire and a 9volt supply and making sure the LEDs are protected
    with resistors)...

    Only thing you need to look at is how far the the IR leds will cast
    their light. The ones I have say they cast for 20 metres (100 foot)
    but there are stronger ones.

    It's worth a thought making your own night cam!

    Pete
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    Thanks for the responses. I will check the links, and setting up a home
    made system might be fun. But I really hate going to electronics stores!
    ;-)

    Clark

    "Pete" <nosespam@my.nut> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 02 May 2005 00:13:45 GMT, shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net (Si
    > Ballenger) wrote:
    >
    >>>Does anyone know if someone makes an external UV light that could be used
    >>>supplement the light of a camcorder? I need something I can leave
    >>>outside
    >>>since I don't want to leave my camcorder outside.
    >
    >>>I have noticed some webcams have UV capability and some also have motion
    >>>detection. Since I am trying to find out what type of animal is in my
    >>>backyard at night, something like that might be useful.
    >

    >>IR would probably be a better choise. UV can damage the eyes.
    >>Bunches of places sell IR LED arrays for night cam work.
    >
    > On top of that UV can show up wherever there is man made materials
    > such as some plastics.
    >
    > Infrared LEDs can be bought by the 100 on ebay from china. I buy mine
    > that way and in all should cost very little.
    >
    > All webcams can view light in the IR spectrum so no need to waste
    > money on "grand" claims.
    >
    > I point one of my webcams out of my window and have wired up a bunch
    > of IR LEDs off the branch of a tree to cover a certain area. (Using
    > bell wire and a 9volt supply and making sure the LEDs are protected
    > with resistors)...
    >
    > Only thing you need to look at is how far the the IR leds will cast
    > their light. The ones I have say they cast for 20 metres (100 foot)
    > but there are stronger ones.
    >
    > It's worth a thought making your own night cam!
    >

    > Pete
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    On Tue, 03 May 2005 13:55:24 GMT, "Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote:

    >Thanks for the responses. I will check the links, and setting up a home
    >made system might be fun. But I really hate going to electronics stores!
    >;-)
    >
    >Clark

    This is the ebay guy I bought mine from:

    ebay user name: "ubiditnow"
    http://stores.ebay.com/uBiditnow-LED-Shop_LED-Infra-Red_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZQ2d1QQftidZ1QQtZkm

    I am not reccomending him above the fact that I did receive them, they
    worked great and it did not take too long.

    He has 2 types. What he calls "20 metre" and "100 metre".. I just
    bought the 20 metre ones as he could not provide me with the spec
    sheets for the 100 metre ones.

    I got mine for $10 all in. If I bought these in the UK they would cost
    upto 40 pence (36 cents) each...

    Anyway. Good luck :)

    Pete
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    On Tue, 03 May 2005 15:41:35 GMT, Pete <nosespam@my.nut> wrote:

    >This is the ebay guy I bought mine from:

    Sorry should have stated I was talking about the Infra Red LEDs.....

    Pete
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    Thanks Pete, I'll look into it.

    > On Tue, 03 May 2005 15:41:35 GMT, Pete <nosespam@my.nut> wrote:
    >

    >>This is the ebay guy I bought mine from:
    >
    > Sorry should have stated I was talking about the Infra Red LEDs.....
    >
    > Pete
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    On Tue, 03 May 2005 15:41:35 GMT, Pete <nosespam@my.nut> wrote:

    >I got mine for $10 all in. If I bought these in the UK they would cost
    >upto 40 pence (36 cents) each...

    My maths are rubbish :o)

    I meant 40 Pence (75 Cents US)

    Pete