External UV light

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

Does anyone know if someone makes an external UV light that could be used to
supplement the light of a camcorder? I need something I can leave outside
since I don't want to leave my camcorder outside.

I have noticed some webcams have UV capability and some also have motion
detection. Since I am trying to find out what type of animal is in my
backyard at night, something like that might be useful.

Any suggestions?

Clark

On Sun, 01 May 2005 23:46:38 GMT, "Clark" <who@whoknows.com>
wrote:

>Does anyone know if someone makes an external UV light that could be used to
>supplement the light of a camcorder? I need something I can leave outside
>since I don't want to leave my camcorder outside.
>
>I have noticed some webcams have UV capability and some also have motion
>detection. Since I am trying to find out what type of animal is in my
>backyard at night, something like that might be useful.
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>Clark

IR would probably be a better choise. UV can damage the eyes.
Bunches of places sell IR LED arrays for night cam work.

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

OK, I look but I did not see one at Fry's. They did have an add-on for a
Sony Camcorder, but it would do me no good. Sorry about the UV thing.

Thanks,
Clark

"Si Ballenger" <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 01 May 2005 23:46:38 GMT, "Clark" <who@whoknows.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Does anyone know if someone makes an external UV light that could be used
>>supplement the light of a camcorder? I need something I can leave outside
>>since I don't want to leave my camcorder outside.
>>
>>I have noticed some webcams have UV capability and some also have motion
>>detection. Since I am trying to find out what type of animal is in my
>>backyard at night, something like that might be useful.
>>
>>Any suggestions?
>>
>>Clark
>
> IR would probably be a better choise. UV can damage the eyes.
> Bunches of places sell IR LED arrays for night cam work.

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

On Mon, 02 May 2005 00:13:45 GMT, shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net (Si
Ballenger) wrote:

>>Does anyone know if someone makes an external UV light that could be used to
>>supplement the light of a camcorder? I need something I can leave outside
>>since I don't want to leave my camcorder outside.

>>I have noticed some webcams have UV capability and some also have motion
>>detection. Since I am trying to find out what type of animal is in my
>>backyard at night, something like that might be useful.

>IR would probably be a better choise. UV can damage the eyes.
>Bunches of places sell IR LED arrays for night cam work.

On top of that UV can show up wherever there is man made materials
such as some plastics.

Infrared LEDs can be bought by the 100 on ebay from china. I buy mine
that way and in all should cost very little.

All webcams can view light in the IR spectrum so no need to waste
money on "grand" claims.

I point one of my webcams out of my window and have wired up a bunch
of IR LEDs off the branch of a tree to cover a certain area. (Using
bell wire and a 9volt supply and making sure the LEDs are protected
with resistors)...

Only thing you need to look at is how far the the IR leds will cast
their light. The ones I have say they cast for 20 metres (100 foot)
but there are stronger ones.

It's worth a thought making your own night cam!

Pete

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

Thanks for the responses. I will check the links, and setting up a home
made system might be fun. But I really hate going to electronics stores!
;-)

Clark

"Pete" <nosespam@my.nut> wrote in message
> On Mon, 02 May 2005 00:13:45 GMT, shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net (Si
> Ballenger) wrote:
>
>>>Does anyone know if someone makes an external UV light that could be used
>>>supplement the light of a camcorder? I need something I can leave
>>>outside
>>>since I don't want to leave my camcorder outside.
>
>>>I have noticed some webcams have UV capability and some also have motion
>>>detection. Since I am trying to find out what type of animal is in my
>>>backyard at night, something like that might be useful.
>

>>IR would probably be a better choise. UV can damage the eyes.
>>Bunches of places sell IR LED arrays for night cam work.
>
> On top of that UV can show up wherever there is man made materials
> such as some plastics.
>
> Infrared LEDs can be bought by the 100 on ebay from china. I buy mine
> that way and in all should cost very little.
>
> All webcams can view light in the IR spectrum so no need to waste
> money on "grand" claims.
>
> I point one of my webcams out of my window and have wired up a bunch
> of IR LEDs off the branch of a tree to cover a certain area. (Using
> bell wire and a 9volt supply and making sure the LEDs are protected
> with resistors)...
>
> Only thing you need to look at is how far the the IR leds will cast
> their light. The ones I have say they cast for 20 metres (100 foot)
> but there are stronger ones.
>
> It's worth a thought making your own night cam!
>

> Pete

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

On Tue, 03 May 2005 13:55:24 GMT, "Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the responses. I will check the links, and setting up a home
>made system might be fun. But I really hate going to electronics stores!
>;-)
>
>Clark

This is the ebay guy I bought mine from:

ebay user name: "ubiditnow"
http://stores.ebay.com/uBiditnow-LED-Shop_LED-Infra-Red_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZQ2d1QQftidZ1QQtZkm

I am not reccomending him above the fact that I did receive them, they
worked great and it did not take too long.

He has 2 types. What he calls "20 metre" and "100 metre".. I just
bought the 20 metre ones as he could not provide me with the spec
sheets for the 100 metre ones.

I got mine for $10 all in. If I bought these in the UK they would cost
upto 40 pence (36 cents) each...

Anyway. Good luck :)

Pete

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

On Tue, 03 May 2005 15:41:35 GMT, Pete <nosespam@my.nut> wrote:

>This is the ebay guy I bought mine from:

Sorry should have stated I was talking about the Infra Red LEDs.....

Pete

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

Thanks Pete, I'll look into it.

> On Tue, 03 May 2005 15:41:35 GMT, Pete <nosespam@my.nut> wrote:
>

>>This is the ebay guy I bought mine from:
>
> Sorry should have stated I was talking about the Infra Red LEDs.....
>
> Pete

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

On Tue, 03 May 2005 15:41:35 GMT, Pete <nosespam@my.nut> wrote:

>I got mine for $10 all in. If I bought these in the UK they would cost
>upto 40 pence (36 cents) each...

My maths are rubbish :eek:)

I meant 40 Pence (75 Cents US)

Pete