Logon

Hi,

Two possibly related questions to do with Windows behaviour at login.

When installing XP pro on my machine, which is used almost exclusively by
me, but which my wife might use once in a while, I set up two users. "Ian" &
"Jacquie".

When the computer boots, it arrives at the "choose user" screen and waits
for me to choose a user. That's all right and proper, of course. However,
what I'd like it to do is to have it wait for a certain amount of time and
then carry on to log me in as if I'd pressed my button. Is that possible?

Secondly. I'm left handed and so once my profile is loaded, I have left
handed mouse. Obviously, before I log in, it isn't. So when I try to "left
click" on the mouse button to choose my name, I am in fact left clicking. I
know I should remember, but then again, why should I? If I can't set a
default login (I have no password, btw), can I set up a default left hand
mouse?

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare

    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User
    Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

    "Ian Hoare" <ianhoare@angelfire.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Two possibly related questions to do with Windows behaviour at login.
    >
    > When installing XP pro on my machine, which is used almost exclusively by
    > me, but which my wife might use once in a while, I set up two users. "Ian"
    > &
    > "Jacquie".
    >
    > When the computer boots, it arrives at the "choose user" screen and waits
    > for me to choose a user. That's all right and proper, of course. However,
    > what I'd like it to do is to have it wait for a certain amount of time and
    > then carry on to log me in as if I'd pressed my button. Is that possible?

    As far as I know, it can only do that if you are the only user. Other than
    that, you'd have to find some third party software.

    > Secondly. I'm left handed and so once my profile is loaded, I have left
    > handed mouse. Obviously, before I log in, it isn't. So when I try to "left
    > click" on the mouse button to choose my name, I am in fact left clicking.
    > know I should remember, but then again, why should I? If I can't set a
    > default login (I have no password, btw), can I set up a default left hand
    > mouse?

    I don't understand this question. I'm left handed, I have the mouse sent to
    use the left button as the primary for what appears to be the same functions
    you have it set which is also the default setting for the mouse and I always
    use the left mouse button when I wish to select my profile.

    If yous is not doing that, you may have a driver issue but the XP default
    setup for the mouse is the left button as you describe.

    Please describe the issue in more detail.

    > --
    > All the Best
    > Ian Hoare
    > http://www.souvigne.com
    > mailbox full to avoid spam. try me at website

    This doesn't "wait" much, :-), but it automates logon to one of the
    users.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315231

    --max

    On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 22:03:37 +0100, Ian Hoare <ianhoare@angelfire.com>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Two possibly related questions to do with Windows behaviour at login.
    >
    >When installing XP pro on my machine, which is used almost exclusively by
    >me, but which my wife might use once in a while, I set up two users. "Ian" &
    >"Jacquie".
    >
    >When the computer boots, it arrives at the "choose user" screen and waits
    >for me to choose a user. That's all right and proper, of course. However,
    >what I'd like it to do is to have it wait for a certain amount of time and
    >then carry on to log me in as if I'd pressed my button. Is that possible?
    >
    >Secondly. I'm left handed and so once my profile is loaded, I have left
    >handed mouse. Obviously, before I log in, it isn't. So when I try to "left
    >click" on the mouse button to choose my name, I am in fact left clicking. I
    >know I should remember, but then again, why should I? If I can't set a
    >default login (I have no password, btw), can I set up a default left hand
    >mouse?

    Salut/Hi Michael Solomon (MS-MVP),

    le/on Mon, 17 Jan 2005 13:23:54 -0800, tu disais/you said:-

    >> When the computer boots, it arrives at the "choose user" screen and waits
    >> for me to choose a user. That's all right and proper, of course. However,
    >> what I'd like it to do is to have it wait for a certain amount of time and
    >> then carry on to log me in as if I'd pressed my button. Is that possible?
    >
    >As far as I know, it can only do that if you are the only user. Other than
    >that, you'd have to find some third party software.

    Okay, I'll go on line and see if I can find such a beast, though goodness
    knows what search string to use! Thanks. Seems a shame, though, and not a
    rare thing to want to do, it seems to me.

    >I don't understand this question. I'm left handed, I have the mouse sent to
    >use the left button as the primary for what appears to be the same functions
    >you have it set which is also the default setting for the mouse and I always
    >use the left mouse button when I wish to select my profile.
    >
    >If yous is not doing that, you may have a driver issue but the XP default
    >setup for the mouse is the left button as you describe.
    >
    >Please describe the issue in more detail.

    Sorry, I've not explained myself properly.

    Let's define some terms. I use a trackball mouse with buttons on the side,
    not at the end. I have one button on the right and another on the left of
    the trackball. This means that I operate the mouse with my thumb on one side
    and my ring finger on the other. This means I scroll the rollerball with my
    index and middle fingers.

    For me the "thumb button" on a right hand mouse is on the left, and is the
    one used to click normally. The other button is the "context" button, and on
    a right hand mouse is on the right. OK? That's the Windows default setting.

    On a left hand mouse, these are reversed, and the thumb (normal click or
    double click to select or launch) button is on the right. OK?

    Windows launches with a right hand mouse, and it's only AFTER I've clicked
    to select "Ian" as user, that it switches to a left hand mouse. It's no
    great deal, but I keep using the wrong button to choose me as user. If I
    could get windows to set a default user after 10 secs, I'd not bother,
    (which is why I brought both these subjects up in one post)

    Hope I've made myself clearer this time. Sorry.
    --
    All the Best
    Ian Hoare

    Ah, yes, I see and understand your frustration. Being left handed myself
    I'd find that a royal pain. I believe this is tied into the drivers for the
    device. Have you checked the trackball manufacturer's website for
    information about this issue as well as for the latest XP compatible
    drivers.

    Device drivers are the responsibility of the manufacturers and even drivers
    that are included with the operating system are usually supplied by the
    device manufacturer. If they tell you the device should work with the
    generic Windows drivers, the next question is, which version of Windows? If
    you were using this device with a previous version, first, it likely wasn't
    designed with login in mind and second, if they tell you to use the generic
    or default drivers as the system will recognize it, essentially, that means
    they have no drivers and aren't supporting the device in XP.

    As to the logon issue, you might try doing a search for login scripts.

    --

    le/on Tue, 18 Jan 2005 11:37:20 -0800, tu disais/you said:-

    >Ah, yes, I see and understand your frustration. Being left handed myself
    >I'd find that a royal pain.

    Thanks. Though as a left hander (actually, at my age I've had perforce to
    become virtually ambidextrous - or perhaps more accurately ambi-clumsy),
    this is merely one tiny example of the way in which assumptions of
    right-handedness are made.

    >I believe this is tied into the drivers for the device. Have you checked the trackball manufacturer's website for
    >information about this issue as well as for the latest XP compatible drivers.

    Nope, to be honest, I've not. Life's too short. As it is, I've discovered
    another workaround, which does more or less what I wanted, but at the cost
    of some hypothetical loss of security. I mentioned this elsewhere, but
    basically, using control userpasswords2 I suppressed alternative login
    possibilities and enabled login by default under my moniker. So I don't have
    remember anything!

    >As to the logon issue, you might try doing a search for login scripts.

    What I might want to do is to find out how to produce a script that will
    allow me to log Jacquie in, without re-enabling login at bootup. I suspect
    it could be done via Management tools, or some such, but it would be good to
    have it automated. However, it's sensible for me to learn to walk before I
    run. XP is less than a week old on my machine!!

    Thanks for your help, and thanks to the others who've contributed in this
    thread.

    --
    All the Best
    Ian Hoare

    You're welcome, glad you've found at least a temporary workaround.

    Yes, I'm familiar with ambidextrous and close relative, ambi-clumsy!<VBG>

    Since you want the other user to log in, I believe the script would have to
    be for you since you want the system to automatically log you in after a
    specified time. Nonetheless, login scripts are fairly common, you should be
    able to find plenty of examples.

    Good luck.

    --

    On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 18:44:19 +0100, Ian Hoare wrote:

    > What I might want to do is to find out how to produce a script that will
    > allow me to log Jacquie in, without re-enabling login at bootup.

    When you've set up autologon using the control userpasswords2 method,
    pressing Shift during startup will cause the welcome screen to appear. From
    there Jacquie can log on.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Salut/Hi Sharon F,

    le/on Wed, 19 Jan 2005 13:42:01 -0600, tu disais/you said:-

    >On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 18:44:19 +0100, Ian Hoare wrote:
    >
    >> What I might want to do is to find out how to produce a script that will
    >> allow me to log Jacquie in, without re-enabling login at bootup.
    >
    >When you've set up autologon using the control userpasswords2 method,
    >pressing Shift during startup will cause the welcome screen to appear. From
    >there Jacquie can log on.

    Brilliant, thanks very much, sharon! Now THAT's what I call service.

    --
    All the Best
    Ian Hoare

    On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 00:19:38 +0100, Ian Hoare wrote:

    > Brilliant, thanks very much, sharon! Now THAT's what I call service.

    You're very welcome! Enjoy!
    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    And I thank you as well, Sharon.

    --

    On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 11:37:07 -0800, Michael Solomon (MS-MVP) wrote:

    > And I thank you as well, Sharon.

    You're welcome! I appreciate the assists I get from you, too. I hope you
    don't mind my chiming in now and then but I enjoy seeing newsgroups working
    like they should (group effort to work through an issue). We seem to team
    up quite often in the basics group, Michael. :)

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    I don't mind in the least.

    Yea team, yea team, yea team...:-)!!!

    --

    > On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 11:37:07 -0800, Michael Solomon (MS-MVP) wrote:
    >
    >> And I thank you as well, Sharon.
    >
    > You're welcome! I appreciate the assists I get from you, too. I hope you
    > don't mind my chiming in now and then but I enjoy seeing newsgroups
    > working
    > like they should (group effort to work through an issue). We seem to team
    > up quite often in the basics group, Michael. :)
    >
    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Windows XP