Installing Windows Black Screen Help

theyuppie

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
So I just got my Crucial M4 64g SSD that I was planning on using as my boot drive with windows 7 on it and nothing else but I have ran into issues along the way. When I boot off the windows cd once the loading finishes and the blue screen comes on asking language and such it blacks out. Everything is still running but the screen goes black. Im booting of my HDD right now to still use my computer. I used the 6g Sata cable and plugged it into the 6g sata slot on the mobo I formatted the SSD and tried again but nothing worked. The first time around it wasn't working so I tried installing windows in safe mode but it was going extremely slow so I canceled. The screen then froze so I restarted. Im not sure if i messed anything up by doing this. I tried only having the SSD plugged in as well when I install but the same thing happens. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for the help.

My other hardware:
Asus Sabbertooth P67
EVGA 560 ti superclocked ds
Intel 2500k
Creative sound blaster audigy
Rosewill Blackhawk case
Zalman 9900nt

tijuana

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
go into the bios and under advanced -> sata config check that sata mode is set to ahci. I've seen a lot of pcs that won't install windows and changing this setting fixes it. not too sure about the details but windows 7 probably no longer has proper drivers for ide devices. besides this always fixes this particular problem for me

Regards!

tijuana

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
hmmm

are you using windows 7 on your other hard drive?
does the os boot ok and work well with the drive connected?
did you run chkdsk on your new drive?
does it slow down (drive or pc) when you copy something from one drive to another? from a dvd to your new HDD?
Is the windows disc you're using in good shape?

Regards!

theyuppie

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
Yes im using windows on my other hard drive thats how im using windows as well. I have both drives connected right now and i have it boot in the old one so it opens windows. I dont think i ran chkdsk on my new drive and i dont think i know how to. Not quite sure what your meaning by slowing down my computer when in use but the windows disk is in great shape just bought it.

theyuppie

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
might have fixed the black screen problem by pressing buttons on my monitor. When it asks for what driver to be installed on i dont think it brings up my SSD. this is what i see

for one dump the soundblaster audigy its not worth the effort with all the random issues (may be related)

connect your SSD/OS driver to a native sata port (southbridge/chipset sata ports etc) - even if there only SATA2/3gbps - its only to install windows - much easier once in windows to install drivers THEN move the drive to the SATA3 ports

jhtjudge

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012

Hey Yuppie,

How exactly did you fix this problem with the blank screen afterloading windows files? I have the same problem and cannot get to the choose drive screen

TRENDING THREADS