Not recognizing a USB Volume Drive

I have a Digital Camera that connects via a USB port and is recognized as a
Volume Drive. The "Unplug or Eject" menu shows it as "Generic Volume -[E:],
however when I go to Windows Explorer it does not appear as a drive - E:. It
skips right by it C:, D, F:, G:

I have tried un-installing and re-installing with the Plug & Play and it
finds the "new" hardware everytime, but will not display the Drive letter in
Windows Explorer.
Any ideas?
--
jhkarr
5 answers Last reply

    jhkarr wrote:
    > I have a Digital Camera that connects via a USB port and is recognized as a
    > Volume Drive. The "Unplug or Eject" menu shows it as "Generic Volume -[E:],
    > however when I go to Windows Explorer it does not appear as a drive - E:. It
    > skips right by it C:, D, F:, G:
    >
    > I have tried un-installing and re-installing with the Plug & Play and it
    > finds the "new" hardware everytime, but will not display the Drive letter in
    > Windows Explorer.
    > Any ideas?

    if you install the software that came with the camera
    you should be able to access it from that application

    otherwise get a card-reader if your camera has a compact flash card

    "jhkarr" <jhkarr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Digital Camera that connects via a USB port and is recognized
    >as a
    > Volume Drive. The "Unplug or Eject" menu shows it as "Generic
    > Volume -[E:],
    > however when I go to Windows Explorer it does not appear as a drive -
    > E:. It
    > skips right by it C:, D, F:, G:
    >
    > I have tried un-installing and re-installing with the Plug & Play and
    > it
    > finds the "new" hardware everytime, but will not display the Drive
    > letter in
    > Windows Explorer.
    > Any ideas?

    What make/model of camera is it? Many require you to install a driver to
    access them, this usually is supplied with the camera or is available
    from the manufacturers website.

    --
    Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

    It is a Vivitar 3615 and it does not require a driver on W2000. It is
    recognized during install as a volume drive much like a flash. If you try and
    trouble shoot it W2000 says it is working fine, but you just can't see the
    drive designation in Windows Explorer.

    > It is a Vivitar 3615 and it does not require a driver on W2000. It is
    > recognized during install as a volume drive much like a flash. If you
    > try and
    > trouble shoot it W2000 says it is working fine, but you just can't see
    > the
    > drive designation in Windows Explorer.

    If you go to
    Start
    Run
    type
    services.msc
    click OK

    Service console opens

    navigate to

    Removable Storage

    is that service running?

    --
    Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

    Yes, it is "started".

    "Steve Parry [MVP]" wrote:

    > "jhkarr" <jhkarr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > It is a Vivitar 3615 and it does not require a driver on W2000. It is
    > > recognized during install as a volume drive much like a flash. If you
    > > try and
    > > trouble shoot it W2000 says it is working fine, but you just can't see
    > > the
    > > drive designation in Windows Explorer.
    > >

    > If you go to
    > Start