Not recognizing a USB Volume Drive

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
April 20, 2005 6:04:02 PM

I have a Digital Camera that connects via a USB port and is recognized as a
Volume Drive. The "Unplug or Eject" menu shows it as "Generic Volume -[E:],
however when I go to Windows Explorer it does not appear as a drive - E:. It
skips right by it C:, D, F:, G:

I have tried un-installing and re-installing with the Plug & Play and it
finds the "new" hardware everytime, but will not display the Drive letter in
Windows Explorer.
Any ideas?
--
jhkarr
April 20, 2005 10:36:17 PM

jhkarr wrote:
> I have a Digital Camera that connects via a USB port and is recognized as a
> Volume Drive. The "Unplug or Eject" menu shows it as "Generic Volume -[E:],
> however when I go to Windows Explorer it does not appear as a drive - E:. It
> skips right by it C:, D, F:, G:
>
> I have tried un-installing and re-installing with the Plug & Play and it
> finds the "new" hardware everytime, but will not display the Drive letter in
> Windows Explorer.
> Any ideas?

if you install the software that came with the camera
you should be able to access it from that application

otherwise get a card-reader if your camera has a compact flash card
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 3:03:56 PM

"jhkarr" <jhkarr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Digital Camera that connects via a USB port and is recognized
>as a
> Volume Drive. The "Unplug or Eject" menu shows it as "Generic
> Volume -[E:],
> however when I go to Windows Explorer it does not appear as a drive -
> E:. It
> skips right by it C:, D, F:, G:
>
> I have tried un-installing and re-installing with the Plug & Play and
> it
> finds the "new" hardware everytime, but will not display the Drive
> letter in
> Windows Explorer.
> Any ideas?

What make/model of camera is it? Many require you to install a driver to
access them, this usually is supplied with the camera or is available
from the manufacturers website.

--
Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk
April 21, 2005 3:03:57 PM

It is a Vivitar 3615 and it does not require a driver on W2000. It is
recognized during install as a volume drive much like a flash. If you try and
trouble shoot it W2000 says it is working fine, but you just can't see the
drive designation in Windows Explorer.

"Steve Parry [MVP]" wrote:

> "jhkarr" <jhkarr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a Digital Camera that connects via a USB port and is recognized
> >as a
> > Volume Drive. The "Unplug or Eject" menu shows it as "Generic
> > Volume -[E:],
> > however when I go to Windows Explorer it does not appear as a drive -
> > E:. It
> > skips right by it C:, D, F:, G:
> >
> > I have tried un-installing and re-installing with the Plug & Play and
> > it
> > finds the "new" hardware everytime, but will not display the Drive
> > letter in
> > Windows Explorer.
> > Any ideas?
>

> What make/model of camera is it? Many require you to install a driver to
> access them, this usually is supplied with the camera or is available
> from the manufacturers website.
>
> --
> Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP
>
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

Anonymous
April 22, 2005 2:12:26 PM

"jhkarr" <jhkarr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 8C3EE60-ED14-4E01-B2C3-611812BABE03@microsoft.com...
> It is a Vivitar 3615 and it does not require a driver on W2000. It is
> recognized during install as a volume drive much like a flash. If you
> try and
> trouble shoot it W2000 says it is working fine, but you just can't see
> the
> drive designation in Windows Explorer.

If you go to
Start