troubles with updates

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
April 20, 2005 7:46:52 PM

Ive got a win2k Advance Server with sp4 on it. Im trying to download and
install 26 Critical Updates. However, when its done it says it fail to
install and retry. No more message and nothing in the Event Viewer. I keep
rebooting/ retrying and still have no luck.
Whats really odd is I just created this box yesterday and it said I only
needed 7 or 8 Critical Updates and I installed them successfully.Now today
it says I need these 26 but wont install successfully. I have installed some
other software since then so I dont know if thats why it wants these Updates
today and didnt yesterday?

TIA, ChrisR

More about : troubles updates

Anonymous
April 21, 2005 4:30:03 AM

What I suggest you do is this:

Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com & get a list of updates

Highlight the list & click CTRL + C together to copy the list

Paste them into a text document & save it

Go to http://www.microsoft.com & type in the first number (main search
engine (top-right of page)). Right-click the result found & click 'Open In
New Window' It should take you to the first exe file to download. Download
it. Close that page & go back to the original page & now use the search
engine a few cms down on the left-centre. Download the other updates & then
once you have backed them up, run them one at a time.

Always right-click & 'open in new window' the result of the searched KB
download because it will make your life a lot easier.

1) You always have a backup of that file in case you need it again.

2) You don't have to download it again if installation fails.

I hope this helps

Crouchie1998
BA (HONS) MCP MCSE
!