Partition

Am getting a new computer on the weekend. It will have Windows XP
pre-loaded, as well as a few other basic programs.
Because it has a large hard drive, I would like to partition it.
What is the best way (safest) to partition it, and what suggestions for
partitions?
11 answers Last reply
More about partition

    Look into Partition Magic

    "Happy" <happy@trial.ca> wrote in message
    > Am getting a new computer on the weekend. It will have Windows XP
    > pre-loaded, as well as a few other basic programs.
    > Because it has a large hard drive, I would like to partition it.
    > What is the best way (safest) to partition it, and what suggestions
    for
    > partitions?

    As stated - Partition Magic is good safe way. Do yourself a favour and
    defrag the drive first - takes time, but good practice.
    Len
    "Happy" <happy@trial.ca> wrote in message
    > Am getting a new computer on the weekend. It will have Windows XP
    > pre-loaded, as well as a few other basic programs.
    > Because it has a large hard drive, I would like to partition it.
    > What is the best way (safest) to partition it, and what suggestions for
    > partitions?

    Will I still have to defrag, if it is new? Guess it won't hurt.
    "Len Dolby" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
    > As stated - Partition Magic is good safe way. Do yourself a favour and
    > defrag the drive first - takes time, but good practice.
    > Len
    > "Happy" <happy@trial.ca> wrote in message
    > > Am getting a new computer on the weekend. It will have Windows XP
    > > pre-loaded, as well as a few other basic programs.
    > > Because it has a large hard drive, I would like to partition it.
    > > What is the best way (safest) to partition it, and what suggestions for
    > > partitions?

    The worst defragmentation of a hard drive can occur right after the OS is
    installed. However, it is likely that the OS was ghosted onto the hard
    drive and you should be OK. Run the disk defrag tool under
    Accessories/System Tools and see how much red shows up in the drive map. In
    any case, defragging the drive can't hurt anything, so go ahead.

    Why do you want to partition the drive? If the file system is FAT32 then
    partitions less than 40GB can make sense in terms of performance. If you
    are running NTFS then there is no performance reason to partition.
    Personally, I would leave it as is, especially if the OS is preinstalled and
    you only have a restore cd in the event the system has to be restored.

    In article <IWWGd.213557$Np3.8964306@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca>,
    happy@trial.ca, Happy says...

    > Am getting a new computer on the weekend. It will have Windows XP
    > pre-loaded, as well as a few other basic programs.
    > Because it has a large hard drive, I would like to partition it.
    > What is the best way (safest) to partition it, and what suggestions for
    > partitions?

    I see PMagic has been suggested so you know that suggestion........

    Obviously this is a proprietary machine and no mention of what kind?
    One thing I would caution as to elaborate a little bit on Colin's
    response......
    Performance wise is correct, no real gain there. If you ever decide to
    do a "Full" restore(factory shipped state) it will *WIPE* your entire
    drive....this is including all partitions you have created there by
    losing all your data on seperate partitions.......I've seen this happen
    on Comcraps & HP's....It does not restore to the "resized"
    partition.......

    This is one of many of my issues with proprietary machines, the lack of
    a means to store your data safely on to a separate partition. It should
    be shipped that way so the restore CD only recognizes the OS sized
    drive, but than again who's to estimate how much room someone needs to
    install applications. Sort of a catch 22, you'll have to resize the OS
    partition eventually. I'd rather do it that way than the latter....Yes
    CD's are all well & great and it's a shame that most people have a
    simplistic approach to saving there data, "how Windows & applications
    tells them to save it."
    Lose your Operating System.....lose all your data....Why? Because it's
    all saved to one partition! I am definately not comfortable with saving
    Data to an OS drive, or any ONE drive for that matter......That's a
    personal choice though....I think an OS on one 200gig HardDrive is
    ludicrous, but, than again, that a personal choice of mine.... ;0)

    Thanks for all this info. I am assuming it is NTFS, but I didn't check. The
    one I have now is, and they are replacing it. The new one is 260 Gig.
    (current one is 120Gig) . I am not sure why I would want to partition. I
    guess it seemed to be the thing to do!
    > The worst defragmentation of a hard drive can occur right after the OS is
    > installed. However, it is likely that the OS was ghosted onto the hard
    > drive and you should be OK. Run the disk defrag tool under
    > Accessories/System Tools and see how much red shows up in the drive map.
    In
    > any case, defragging the drive can't hurt anything, so go ahead.
    >
    > Why do you want to partition the drive? If the file system is FAT32 then
    > partitions less than 40GB can make sense in terms of performance. If you
    > are running NTFS then there is no performance reason to partition.
    > Personally, I would leave it as is, especially if the OS is preinstalled
    and
    > you only have a restore cd in the event the system has to be restored.

    > "Happy" <happy@trial.ca> wrote in message
    > > Will I still have to defrag, if it is new? Guess it won't hurt.
    > > "Len Dolby" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
    > >> As stated - Partition Magic is good safe way. Do yourself a favour and
    > >> defrag the drive first - takes time, but good practice.
    > >> Len
    > >> "Happy" <happy@trial.ca> wrote in message

    It was in the old days of FAT32 once disk sizes got very large. FAT32 is
    not as efficient with very large drives as is NTFS. I prefer a good folder
    organization.

    > Thanks for all this info. I am assuming it is NTFS, but I didn't check.
    > The
    > one I have now is, and they are replacing it. The new one is 260 Gig.
    > (current one is 120Gig) . I am not sure why I would want to partition. I
    > guess it seemed to be the thing to do!
    >> The worst defragmentation of a hard drive can occur right after the OS is
    >> installed. However, it is likely that the OS was ghosted onto the hard
    >> drive and you should be OK. Run the disk defrag tool under
    >> Accessories/System Tools and see how much red shows up in the drive map.
    > In
    >> any case, defragging the drive can't hurt anything, so go ahead.
    >>
    >> Why do you want to partition the drive? If the file system is FAT32 then
    >> partitions less than 40GB can make sense in terms of performance. If you
    >> are running NTFS then there is no performance reason to partition.
    >> Personally, I would leave it as is, especially if the OS is preinstalled
    > and
    >> you only have a restore cd in the event the system has to be restored.
    >>
    >> --
    >> "Happy" <happy@trial.ca> wrote in message
    >> > Will I still have to defrag, if it is new? Guess it won't hurt.
    >> > "Len Dolby" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
    > for

    Although I am not sure of the reason to partition, if a need to reinstall
    the OS still wipes the whole drive, it would be nice if they sent the system
    partitioned, with a method for resizing. I thought partitioning was to
    either run multiple operating systems (which I don't) or to use disk space
    more efficiently. (which shouldn't be a problem with NTFS)
    In my case it looks like I will have one OS on a 260 Gig HD. Do you think
    this will be a problem?

    In news:QFcHd.213898$Np3.8985319@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca,
    Happy <happy@trial.ca> typed:

    > Although I am not sure of the reason to partition,

    A word on the terminology, if I may. To partition a drive is to
    create *one* or more partitions on it. It's required, not
    optional; you can't use the drive unless you (or the vendor you
    buy it from) has created at least a single partition on it.

    So what you're asking about is whether to have *more than one*
    partition on it.

    > if a need to
    > reinstall the OS still wipes the whole drive, it would be nice
    > if
    > they sent the system partitioned, with a method for resizing. I
    > thought partitioning was to either run multiple operating
    > systems

    That's one common reason for having multiple partitions.

    > (which I don't) or to use disk space more efficiently. (which
    > shouldn't be a problem with NTFS)

    Correct. With FAT32, keeping partitions smaller saves disk space.
    But in these days of very cheap large hard drives, the value of
    the space you save that way is generally tiny. I think that even
    with FAT32, this is no longer a good reason for having multiple
    partitions, and should be overruled by other considerations.

    > In my case it looks like I will have one OS on a 260 Gig HD. Do
    > you
    > think this will be a problem?

    Most people here are much more often in favor of multiple
    partitions than I am, but with a drive that big, even I would
    probably have more than one partition.

    One of the things you want to think about before deciding how to
    partition is how (and what) you're going to backup. Make sure
    that your partitioning scheme makes it easy to implement your
    backup scheme.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    In article <QFcHd.213898$Np3.8985319@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca>,
    happy@trial.ca, Happy says...

    > Although I am not sure of the reason to partition, if a need to reinstall
    > the OS still wipes the whole drive, it would be nice if they sent the system
    > partitioned, with a method for resizing. I thought partitioning was to
    > either run multiple operating systems (which I don't) or to use disk space
    > more efficiently. (which shouldn't be a problem with NTFS)
    > In my case it looks like I will have one OS on a 260 Gig HD. Do you think
    > this will be a problem?

    Gerry Cornell posted a very informative article on partitioning,
    hopefully ya read it and gives you a good idea of things. I could not of
    explained it any better....

    Will this be a problem??
    For me, HELL yeah, maybe not for you......What I mean by this is that I
    have personal preferances and would do things differently, but in the
    end it won't hurt for you to keep it the way it is.
    As I stated before, I'm to assume this is a proprietary machine? A
    "REAL" retail bought CD of an OS will "NOT" wipe out all your
    partitions, it will "ask" you where you want to install. Hence why after
    I bought my first Comcrap years ago, and learned a hard lesson, I went
    out and bought my own copy of windows & wiped all their garbage out
    never to use a restore CD again. Don't get me wrong though, most people
    won't do that, but with the proprietaries you will lose your free tech
    support and all that nonsense if you do not have the original garbage
    installed.....Me, I don't need the tech support so it doesn't bother me,
    I'd rather build my own machines and not be a slave to pre-installs.
    But, but now, I did go out and buy a HP recently, only because I could
    not beat the price for what it had to offer(hardware wise)....But as
    soon as it got to my house, I WIPED the drive....a 200gig(groan) put a
    40gig in its place for my OS(Win2K) and broke the 200 up in to data
    partitions........

    I'm only going on as it appears you're wanting to learn and this is a
    part of learning about other ideas so I'd figure I'd give ya a few
    tidbits of my own experience.......I am not a big fan of proprietary
    setups,(Gee, can ya tell) but they have gotten a little better, but yes,
    BIG drives & one partition only is a big problem for me....But of course
    we all use our computers differently, I have 15 HD's spread out amongst
    5 computers in my house with a total over 2 tera of space, my main
    machine here has a total of 6 HD's along with 4 burners, 1 cd reader, 1
    DVD player, Sooooooooooo, you can see that I do a LOT of things with my
    machine so in my case seperate partitions & HD's are critical for my
    needs. As i mentioned, that article was very informative......

    Happy

    http://aumha.org/a/parts.htm

    --

    ~~~~~~

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please tell the newsgroup how any
    suggested solution worked for you.

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "Happy" <happy@trial.ca> wrote in message
    > Although I am not sure of the reason to partition, if a need to
    > reinstall
    > the OS still wipes the whole drive, it would be nice if they sent the
    > system
    > partitioned, with a method for resizing. I thought partitioning was to
    > either run multiple operating systems (which I don't) or to use disk
    > space
    > more efficiently. (which shouldn't be a problem with NTFS)
    > In my case it looks like I will have one OS on a 260 Gig HD. Do you
    > think
    > this will be a problem?
    > "ByTor" <ByTor@snowdog.com> wrote in message
    >> In article <IWWGd.213557$Np3.8964306@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca>,
    >> happy@trial.ca, Happy says...
    >>
    >> > Am getting a new computer on the weekend. It will have Windows XP
    >> > pre-loaded, as well as a few other basic programs.
    >> > Because it has a large hard drive, I would like to partition it.
    >> > What is the best way (safest) to partition it, and what suggestions
    >> > for
    >> > partitions?
    >>
    >> I see PMagic has been suggested so you know that suggestion........
    >>
    >> Obviously this is a proprietary machine and no mention of what kind?
    >> One thing I would caution as to elaborate a little bit on Colin's
    >> response......
    >> Performance wise is correct, no real gain there. If you ever decide
    >> do a "Full" restore(factory shipped state) it will *WIPE* your entire
    >> drive....this is including all partitions you have created there by
    >> losing all your data on seperate partitions.......I've seen this
    >> happen
    >> on Comcraps & HP's....It does not restore to the "resized"
    >> partition.......
    >>
    >> This is one of many of my issues with proprietary machines, the lack
    >> of
    >> a means to store your data safely on to a separate partition. It
    >> should
    >> be shipped that way so the restore CD only recognizes the OS sized
    >> drive, but than again who's to estimate how much room someone needs
    >> install applications. Sort of a catch 22, you'll have to resize the
    >> OS
    >> partition eventually. I'd rather do it that way than the
    >> latter....Yes
    >> CD's are all well & great and it's a shame that most people have a
    >> simplistic approach to saving there data, "how Windows & applications
    >> tells them to save it."
    >> Lose your Operating System.....lose all your data....Why? Because
    >> it's
    >> all saved to one partition! I am definately not comfortable with
    >> saving
    >> Data to an OS drive, or any ONE drive for that matter......That's a
    >> personal choice though....I think an OS on one 200gig HardDrive is
    >> ludicrous, but, than again, that a personal choice of mine.... ;0)

Computers Partition Microsoft Hard Drives Windows XP