startup issues

my friend has a dell labtop and it froze. She reboted the computer and when
it started it said. file missing or corupt. winni\system32\config\systemced
can anyone help me solve this problem for her. She's away at school and
needs to access info. Window CD's are at her house to far away to drive to
right now. Any help to get this labtop running would be apreciated. If the
only answer is for her to drive home or have the cd's mailed to her...so be
it. But is there anyway of recovering the stuff she was working on until
then???
THANK YOU
2 answers Last reply
More about startup issues

    If the system hive is corrupt, and assuming you already tried LKG (F8 and
    choose Last Known Good), It may be possible to rename the system hive found
    in
    %windir%\system32\config\system
    to system.old
    then rename
    %windir%\system32\config\system.alt
    %windir%\system32\config\system

    You can also try using the most recent backup found in
    %windir%\repair\regback

    If that fails you haven't much choice but to copy/ use the
    original-as-installed system hive from
    %windir%\repair\system
    %windir%\system32\config\system
    You'll need to reinstall the device drivers for any hardware added since the
    original OS install.

    To start the Recovery Console, start the computer from the Windows 2000
    Setup CD or the Windows 2000 Setup floppy disks. If you do not have Setup
    floppy disks and your computer cannot start from the Windows 2000 Setup CD,
    use another Windows 2000-based computer to create the Setup floppy disks.
    Press ENTER at the "Setup Notification" screen. Press R to repair a Windows
    2000 installation, and then press C to use the Recovery Console. The
    Recovery Console then prompts you for the administrator password. If you do
    not have the correct password, Recovery Console does not allow access to the
    computer. If an incorrect password is entered three times, the Recovery
    Console quits and restarts the computer. Note If the registry is corrupted
    or missing or no valid installations are found, the Recovery Console starts
    in the root of the startup volume without requiring a password. You cannot
    access any folders, but you can carry out commands such as chkdsk, fixboot,
    and fixmbr for limited disk repairs. Once the password has been validated,
    you have full access to the Recovery Console, but limited access to the hard
    disk. You can only access the following folders on your computer: drive
    root, %systemroot% or %windir%

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "mcgeevicdell" <mcgeevicdell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > my friend has a dell labtop and it froze. She reboted the computer and
    when
    > it started it said. file missing or corupt.
    winni\system32\config\systemced
    > can anyone help me solve this problem for her. She's away at school and
    > needs to access info. Window CD's are at her house to far away to drive
    > right now. Any help to get this labtop running would be apreciated. If
    the
    > only answer is for her to drive home or have the cd's mailed to her...so
    be
    > it. But is there anyway of recovering the stuff she was working on until
    > then???
    > THANK YOU

    Have a look at this link:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;269075,
    or in particular at this line on the page: "Restore a Backup of the System
    Hive."
    Your friend will indeed need her Win2000 CD. Rather than driving to
    her home, ask a friend to lend you a CD or to burn a copy.

    Your post implies that your friend choses to ignore the iron rule of
    computing: That all important files must be backed up to an independent
    medium once every week. People often change their habits only when
    confronted with a disaster. These days backing up large amounts of
    data is cheap and easy. An external USB disk case, with a 40 GByte
    hard disk inside, would cost very little and is easy to handle. For critical
    stuff I even recommend two of them, to be used on alternate days.

    When attempting to repair her machine, be ***extremely*** careful
    not to format or partition her disk . . . And by the way: Even if Windows
    turns out to be irrepairable, her data is still intact, as long as you don't
    damage or delete the file system.

Windows