My CPU getting hot!

hobbitfeet

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
I have a 3ghz P4(530) and I upgraded the stock HSF to a Thermaltake CL-P0092 Silent 775 Heatpipe & Funneled Fan and Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound because the stock fan was
to loud.

The new HSF should be more then enough to keep it cool. But the idle temp. is around 45c and 67c or so when I start a game up even for a secound.
I have taken the computer apart and redid the thermal paste and
made sure the HSF was on correctly but still the same temps.
The fan spins at 2500rpm that it should and is super silent.

If anyone has any ideas please toss them my way.
Thanks

My System Specs:
P4 3ghz. @ 3ghz
Asus P5GDC-DLX
1g Kingmax ram, DC mode
250gig Sata HD
x1600 Pro 512mb
etc...

Here are some reviews on this HSF.
Review 1
Review 2

Vokofpolisiekar

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
Remember that aS5 will only settle after 200hours of on/off daily use.

Apply the thermal paste, after the IHS (CPU metal top) and cooler contact area has been cleaned with Arti Clean or 90%+ pure alcohol. Make sure the area is clean, as in super clean.

Apply the thermal paste dead center on the IHS (I presume the 530 is single core - I'm a bit out on the different generations) - in a small rice grain size - too much and you could risk "spilling some" around the CPU area.

When you reseat the cooler, put it directly down onto the cpu, and twist 1 degree both clock and anti clock wise.

Fasten it, and ensure that it's fastened evenly.

Sounds stupid, but sometimes you miss out on a minute detail.

sailer

Splendid
I looked at the sites you showed and #1 is little more than a reprint of company stuff. #2 says that the cooler is "not for overclockers" in its Cons section. The main advantage of the cooler seemed not in cooling gains, but in its silence. You seem to be running about right on your idle temp according to the articles, but getting hot while gaming. So what you might want is a more aggresive cooler.

I'd suggest a Zalman 9500 or 9700, or something from Sythe for better cooling. There's more coolers out there, but this is what comes to mind off the top of my head.

hobbitfeet

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
Vokofpolisiekar:
I have done all that stuff and gave the AS5 time and still gets hot.
It is a single core chip.

Sailer :
Both of the reviews were using bigger faster P4 chips(3.2ghz) then
I am using and I am not doing any overclocking. So this HSF should be doing better than it is.

I should be getting around 36c-39c at idle and around 46c-50c at max.

I should have spent the extra $15 and gotten another Big Typhoon, like
I have on my e6400 (18c-20c idle and 31c-33c max).

Thanks for the replies.