virtual webcam???

Hi

I have several webcams that i'm multicasting over my network at work
and need to feed it into a programme that only takes local cameras.

Does anyone know of any virtual webcam software that i can use or
modify to act as a virtual webcam on the target pc, but play the
multicast stream.

Rogs95
11 answers Last reply
More about virtual webcam

    rogs95 wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I have several webcams that i'm multicasting over my network at work
    >and need to feed it into a programme that only takes local cameras.
    >
    >Does anyone know of any virtual webcam software that i can use or
    >modify to act as a virtual webcam on the target pc, but play the
    >multicast stream.
    >
    >Rogs95

    Describe the environment a little bit further?
    How are you multicasting, hardware, software?
    How does one normally view the multicast on your network?
    Why do you want to capture the multicast and then rebroadcast as a
    webcam stream?
    Why cant you web into the multicast device itself to do this?

    NOTE: I have modified my reply-to address to avoid
    Unsolicited Commercial Email. To respond to me directly,
    please remove the dotUCE in the reply-to address.

    Hi

    Everything is being done in XP and i am using the open source VideoLAN
    client (www.videolan.org) to multicast between machines. As it can
    work both as sending the multicast via UDP, and also view the
    multicast.

    It is not only webcams that i will be multicasting as we have a couple
    of CCTV cameras that i am planning to connect up to our network and
    stream as well. Because there are going to be quite a few inputs in
    different locations then i am unable to physically connect them, so i
    have decided to multicast them.

    The problem i am having is that the programme that i need to view them
    in is a couple of years old and will only view local cameras. For
    example a webcam or video camera plugged to a USB port.

    What i need is some way to get round this and the only way i can think
    of is some sort of software that can receive the multicast but appear
    on the PC as a webcam. So you can select it like a normal local
    camera but it plays the video stream.

    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

    rogs95

    anyone???

    On Mon, 09 May 2005 14:27:02 +0000,
    rogs95@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (rogs95) wrote:

    >anyone???

    Question???
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    :shock: DUH :shock:

    The question above seeing as i posted that as well

    :roll:
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    HELP
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    describe multicast in your own words.

    "rogs95" <rogs95@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > HELP

  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    I am using VLC media player from videolan.org to do a UDP multicast on
    an address like 224.0.0.1, the video is transcoded using mpeg4.

    This works great as i can pick the multicast up over the network on
    any computer and several can access it at the same time.

    My problem is getting the multicast into a programme that wil only
    take local cameras (e.g USB)
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    :oops: HELP :oops:
  10. You can use Magic Camera as virtual webcam.
    http://www.shiningmorning.com/
  11. I have alifecamvx-700 im trying to learn how to install it to secondlife my virtual reality game to give pictures

Webcams Cameras Software Peripherals