service pack 2

jp

I cannot install service pack two, becuase it totally screws up my monitor,
it amkes the incons three inces big andthe resooution set to a very small
number and it cannot be changed. How do I fix it?

Check for the graphics card manufacturer's website for the latest XP
compatible drivers for your card and install them.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 14:57:01 -0800, jp wrote:

> I cannot install service pack two, becuase it totally screws up my monitor,
> it amkes the incons three inces big andthe resooution set to a very small
> number and it cannot be changed. How do I fix it?

A monitor displays whatever the video adapter tells it to show. It sounds
like your display driver is what is having trouble with SP2 instead of the
monitor.

Have you checked with whoever supplies your display drivers (computer
manufacturer or manufacturer of the display adapter), for any special
information regarding SP2 and these drivers? Or tried reinstalling the
existing display drivers after installing SP2?

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

jp

yes, I suspected it was either sp2 or driver problem not monitor itself

the system is hp pavilion mx75 any suggestions for source of video drivers?

"Sharon F" wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 14:57:01 -0800, jp wrote:
>
> > I cannot install service pack two, becuase it totally screws up my monitor,
> > it amkes the incons three inces big andthe resooution set to a very small
> > number and it cannot be changed. How do I fix it?
>
> A monitor displays whatever the video adapter tells it to show. It sounds
> like your display driver is what is having trouble with SP2 instead of the
> monitor.
>
> Have you checked with whoever supplies your display drivers (computer
> manufacturer or manufacturer of the display adapter), for any special
> information regarding SP2 and these drivers? Or tried reinstalling the
> existing display drivers after installing SP2?
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

You need to find the model and manufacturer of your graphics card and go to
the card manufacturer's website. Try this, open System in Control Panel, go
to the Hardware tab, click Device Manger, click the plus sign next to
Display, it should show your adapter make and model.

--

> yes, I suspected it was either sp2 or driver problem not monitor itself
>
> the system is hp pavilion mx75 any suggestions for source of video
> drivers?
>
> "Sharon F" wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 14:57:01 -0800, jp wrote:
>>
>> > I cannot install service pack two, becuase it totally screws up my
>> > monitor,
>> > it amkes the incons three inces big andthe resooution set to a very
>> > small
>> > number and it cannot be changed. How do I fix it?
>>
>> A monitor displays whatever the video adapter tells it to show. It sounds
>> like your display driver is what is having trouble with SP2 instead of
>> the
>> monitor.
>>
>> Have you checked with whoever supplies your display drivers (computer
>> manufacturer or manufacturer of the display adapter), for any special
>> information regarding SP2 and these drivers? Or tried reinstalling the
>> existing display drivers after installing SP2?
>>
>> --
>> Sharon F
>> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

jp

you wrote:
>Try this, open System in Control Panel, go
> to the Hardware tab, click Device Manger, click the plus sign next to
> Display

Under the device manager, there is no "Display" with a plus sign. It's not
there.

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 16:21:02 -0800, jp wrote:

> yes, I suspected it was either sp2 or driver problem not monitor itself
>
> the system is hp pavilion mx75 any suggestions for source of video drivers?

If it was my system, I would go to the HP site and look up the model. I had
an HP years ago and never had a problem finding the drivers for it using
HP's support pages.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

johnf

Read the model no. on the back of the monitor & re-post.

--

johnf

> yes, I suspected it was either sp2 or driver problem not monitor itself
>
> the system is hp pavilion mx75 any suggestions for source of video
> drivers?
>
> "Sharon F" wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 14:57:01 -0800, jp wrote:
>>
>> > I cannot install service pack two, becuase it totally screws up my
>> > monitor, it amkes the incons three inces big andthe resooution set
>> > to a very small number and it cannot be changed. How do I fix it?
>>
>> A monitor displays whatever the video adapter tells it to show. It
>> sounds like your display driver is what is having trouble with SP2
>> instead of the monitor.
>>
>> Have you checked with whoever supplies your display drivers (computer
>> manufacturer or manufacturer of the display adapter), for any special
>> information regarding SP2 and these drivers? Or tried reinstalling the
>> existing display drivers after installing SP2?
>>
>> --
>> Sharon F
>> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

johnf

Try looking for 'Display Adaptors'

--

johnf

> you wrote:
>>Try this, open System in Control Panel, go
>> to the Hardware tab, click Device Manger, click the plus sign next to
>> Display
>

> Under the device manager, there is no "Display" with a plus sign. It's
> not there.

> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> You need to find the model and manufacturer of your graphics card and
>> go to the card manufacturer's website. Try this, open System in
>> Control Panel, go to the Hardware tab, click Device Manger, click the
>> plus sign next to Display, it should show your adapter make and model.
>>
>> --
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>
>> "jp" <jpl89@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > yes, I suspected it was either sp2 or driver problem not monitor
>> > itself
>> >
>> > the system is hp pavilion mx75 any suggestions for source of video
>> > drivers?

jp

There is no display adaptors.

"johnf" wrote:

> Try looking for 'Display Adaptors'
>
> --
>
> johnf
>
> > you wrote:
> >>Try this, open System in Control Panel, go
> >> to the Hardware tab, click Device Manger, click the plus sign next to
> >> Display
> >

> > Under the device manager, there is no "Display" with a plus sign. It's
> > not there.

> > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> You need to find the model and manufacturer of your graphics card and
> >> go to the card manufacturer's website. Try this, open System in
> >> Control Panel, go to the Hardware tab, click Device Manger, click the
> >> plus sign next to Display, it should show your adapter make and model.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> >> Windows Shell/User
> >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
> >>
> >> "jp" <jpl89@hotmail.com> wrote in message

johnf

Try cleaning & reseating your videocard, plus ( I hate to say it) check your
connections.
Still no good? Try and temporarily borrow another videocard (incl.
software) - I do suppose you re-installed your card software & also checked
with MS under the compatibility list?

--

johnf

> There is no display adaptors.
>
> "johnf" wrote:
>
>> Try looking for 'Display Adaptors'
>>
>> --
>>
>> johnf

>> > Under the device manager, there is no "Display" with a plus sign.
>> > It's not there.

jp

how do I identify the video card?

this computer did not come with any physical copy of any software, ie no
cd's or disks. None whatsoever. I bought it at Circuit City, so it's not some
hatchet job.

I have no idea where either the card or the software came from. It was just
all shipped in a box marked HP Pavilion mx75.

"johnf" wrote:

> Try cleaning & reseating your videocard, plus ( I hate to say it) check your
> connections.
> Still no good? Try and temporarily borrow another videocard (incl.
> software) - I do suppose you re-installed your card software & also checked
> with MS under the compatibility list?
>

> --
>
> johnf
>
> > There is no display adaptors.
> >
> > "johnf" wrote:
> >
> >> Try looking for 'Display Adaptors'
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> johnf

One other thing you might do is check the HP website for drivers for the
graphics card for your model PC.

--

> how do I identify the video card?
>
> this computer did not come with any physical copy of any software, ie no
> cd's or disks. None whatsoever. I bought it at Circuit City, so it's not
> some
> hatchet job.
>
> I have no idea where either the card or the software came from. It was
> just
> all shipped in a box marked HP Pavilion mx75.
>
> "johnf" wrote:
>
>> Try cleaning & reseating your videocard, plus ( I hate to say it) check
>> your
>> connections.
>> Still no good? Try and temporarily borrow another videocard (incl.
>> software) - I do suppose you re-installed your card software & also
>> checked
>> with MS under the compatibility list?
>>

>> --
>>
>> johnf
>>
>> > There is no display adaptors.

Did you get any documentation with the computer, manuals, etc.

If Display Adapters is not showing in Device Manager, I doubt other free
programs will be able to figure it out either but try downloading and
installing, Belarc Advisor, http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html. Once
installed, it should give you a pretty detailed list of information about
what is installed on your system, both hardware and software.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User
Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

"jp" <jpl89@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> how do I identify the video card?
>
> this computer did not come with any physical copy of any software, ie no
> cd's or disks. None whatsoever. I bought it at Circuit City, so it's not
> some
> hatchet job.
>
> I have no idea where either the card or the software came from. It was
> just
> all shipped in a box marked HP Pavilion mx75.
>
> "johnf" wrote:
>
>> Try cleaning & reseating your videocard, plus ( I hate to say it) check
>> your
>> connections.
>> Still no good? Try and temporarily borrow another videocard (incl.
>> software) - I do suppose you re-installed your card software & also
>> checked
>> with MS under the compatibility list?
>>

>> --
>>
>> johnf
>>
>> > There is no display adaptors.

jp

yep, I ran the Belarc program and other display it says "none detected"

"Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Did you get any documentation with the computer, manuals, etc.
>
> If Display Adapters is not showing in Device Manager, I doubt other free
> programs will be able to figure it out either but try downloading and
> installing, Belarc Advisor, http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html. Once
> installed, it should give you a pretty detailed list of information about
> what is installed on your system, both hardware and software.
>
> --
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>
> "jp" <jpl89@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > how do I identify the video card?
> >
> > this computer did not come with any physical copy of any software, ie no
> > cd's or disks. None whatsoever. I bought it at Circuit City, so it's not
> > some
> > hatchet job.
> >
> > I have no idea where either the card or the software came from. It was
> > just
> > all shipped in a box marked HP Pavilion mx75.
> >
> > "johnf" wrote:
> >
> >> Try cleaning & reseating your videocard, plus ( I hate to say it) check
> >> your
> >> connections.
> >> Still no good? Try and temporarily borrow another videocard (incl.
> >> software) - I do suppose you re-installed your card software & also
> >> checked
> >> with MS under the compatibility list?
> >>

> >> --
> >>
> >> johnf

It may be an onboard graphics, meaning it's integrated into the motherboard
but usually those are detected. As both Sharon F. and I have suggested, you
might want to visit the HP website and see if they have graphics drivers for
your model. If that doesn't resolve it, I'd have the system checked out as
you may have a hardware issue given the graphics card is not detected. It's
possible the card is just not properly or well seated in its slot. If it's
integrated into the motherboard, there may be some more serious hardware
issue, whatever the case, you should have the system checked out.

--

> yep, I ran the Belarc program and other display it says "none detected"
>
> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Did you get any documentation with the computer, manuals, etc.
>>
>> If Display Adapters is not showing in Device Manager, I doubt other free
>> programs will be able to figure it out either but try downloading and
>> installing, Belarc Advisor, http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html.
>> Once
>> installed, it should give you a pretty detailed list of information about
>> what is installed on your system, both hardware and software.
>>
>> --
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>
>> "jp" <jpl89@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > how do I identify the video card?
>> >
>> > this computer did not come with any physical copy of any software, ie
>> > no
>> > cd's or disks. None whatsoever. I bought it at Circuit City, so it's
>> > not
>> > some
>> > hatchet job.
>> >
>> > I have no idea where either the card or the software came from. It was
>> > just
>> > all shipped in a box marked HP Pavilion mx75.

jp

Then it looks like I need to find some technical support somewhere because
the HPwebsite only shows software for this monitor for windows 95 and windows
98. I have windows XP. Any suggestions? I doubt the place I bought it would
have any clue. Is it something any random computer shop can fix?

"Sharon F" wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 16:21:02 -0800, jp wrote:
>
> > yes, I suspected it was either sp2 or driver problem not monitor itself
> >
> > the system is hp pavilion mx75 any suggestions for source of video drivers?
>
> If it was my system, I would go to the HP site and look up the model. I had
> an HP years ago and never had a problem finding the drivers for it using
> HP's support pages.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

jp

There doesn't appear to ba a separate graphics card either.

"Sharon F" wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 16:21:02 -0800, jp wrote:
>
> > yes, I suspected it was either sp2 or driver problem not monitor itself
> >
> > the system is hp pavilion mx75 any suggestions for source of video drivers?
>
> If it was my system, I would go to the HP site and look up the model. I had
> an HP years ago and never had a problem finding the drivers for it using
> HP's support pages.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User