7300GS?

G

I am planing to build a PC and I am planning to get a 7300GS and later on get a higher end graphics card. I was wondering if the 7300GS has good overclocking potential and also if it is worth $63.

Hameedo

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
I recommend getting a 7300GT 256MB , it's a very good card ..and overclocks very well .. you can find it for about 80$ !

it has a DDRII memory clocked at 650 MHZ .. and 4 vertex shaders + 8 pipeline pixels .. it's nearly equal to 6600GT .

I say go for it you can run some recent games on High with thar card (ie , Medieval 2 total war ) .

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
7300GS really is the bottom of the barrel (in fact the only place it's really useful is if you stick 4 of them in a workstation and plug in a buckload of hi-res screens).

It's not like with CPUs, where you can buy the bottom of the range and just overclock to the top for free - with graphics cards you have to worry about pipelines etc..., which (without doing risky firmware/BIOS hacks) remain unavailable no matter how high you clock it, crippling the card and rendering your speed overclock irrelevant.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
I am planing to build a PC and I am planning to get a 7300GS and later on get a higher end graphics card. I was wondering if the 7300GS has good overclocking potential and also if it is worth $63.

Don't bother. I'd try and find a 7300GT with GDDR3 NOT DDR2!! The GDDR3 model is about equivalent to the 6800GT when overclocked!

G

7300GS really is the bottom of the barrel (in fact the only place it's really useful is if you stick 4 of them in a workstation and plug in a buckload of hi-res screens).

It's not like with CPUs, where you can buy the bottom of the range and just overclock to the top for free - with graphics cards you have to worry about pipelines etc..., which (without doing risky firmware/BIOS hacks) remain unavailable no matter how high you clock it, crippling the card and rendering your speed overclock irrelevant.

Well I wouldn't mind mind messing with the bios as long as I have a backup of the bios and a spare PCI video card(both of which I have).

Thank you all for your suggestions.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Okay, well for starts I'm not sure of any hacked firmwares or BIOSes for 7300 - the people that make them would tend to be catering for the higher end of the market, which the 7300 certainly doesn't occupy.

If you get a firmware flash wrong I don't think you can rectify it, even if you do have a PCI graphics card as a backup, but I'm happy to stand corrected there.