A8N5x HD install problem

Trucker

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
Hello to all. I have a prob that I hope I can get an answer to here.

My wife just got a new computer so I inherited her old one. It has an ASUS A8N5X MoBo. It has a WD80 HD in it. My old pc has a WD250HD.
I took the 250 and put it in with the 80. The PC won't recognize either HD with the 250 in. Take the 250 out and it boots fine.

With the 250 in it says there are no HD's in the system. The 250 by itself won't work either. I have the 250 set as Master and the 80 as Slave. I tried them both on Cable Select with no luck.

I updated the BIOS to the latest version, but no change. I tried a different cable, but nothing. Is there a setting in the BIOS that would fix this?

It has a 420W PS. I have a 500 Watt lying around. Could it be a power issue?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Trucker

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
I tried both the cable that was working with the 250 and the cable that was working with the 80.

There are two connectors on the IDE cable. With the 80HD connected to the end one and the 250 connected to the middle one it doesn't recognize either HD. But with the 250 disconnected it boots fine.

Dave

pat

Expert

Check out jumpers.. that's the only thing I could think of if you are sure that the 250 is good. WD hdd usuallyneed the jumper to be completely removed for operation without slave, so when you try the hdd alone, make sure it is.

Check the label for proper operation.

Otherwise, have the 250 checked

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
I tried both the cable that was working with the 250 and the cable that was working with the 80.

There are two connectors on the IDE cable. With the 80HD connected to the end one and the 250 connected to the middle one it doesn't recognize either HD. But with the 250 disconnected it boots fine.

Dave
the most common problem is
you did insert cable inthe wrong way
Ie, inversed
when you do that the computer boots, but the HDD led will keep red ( blinking like it was reading at max speed ) but the computer wont even post...

invert the cable and insert it again,if not, your HDD controller must be dead or the cable is bad..
this is the most usual error when installing IDE hdds btw. :>
the cable inversed thingie.

Trucker

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
Thanks for the replies.

I thought the cables could only go in one way?

I set both of the drives to Cable Select and plugged the IDE cable black end(master) into the 250 and the Grey(Slave) to the 80. Now the 250 is working and the 80 isn't being recognized.

Thanks again

Dave

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for the replies.

I thought the cables could only go in one way?

I set both of the drives to Cable Select and plugged the IDE cable black end(master) into the 250 and the Grey(Slave) to the 80. Now the 250 is working and the 80 isn't being recognized.

Thanks again

Dave

honestly, if only ONE hdd is set to "master" it doesnt matter if cable select is on or not, it wont work ....
you need to set both hdds in "cable select" to use the cable select feacture, also you need a special IDE cable for cableselect, most I've seen that comes with your mobos, are not compatible with this feacture.....
, I recommend that you set both hdds manually via the jumpers to master and slave