multi-recordings onto a cd-r

I would like to create a document in word and save it to a CD-R, and then on
a different day create another document and save this to the same CD-R. I
have tried this but had to write the document, save it into "My Docs", then
drag it across onto the CD drive in My Computer, this seems a very long
process to do a simple task! What am I doing wrong?

You would need to create a "multi-session enabled" disk to do what you wish.
Or use some form of packet writing (UDF format) software like Nero's InCD or
Roxio's DirectCD. I use Nero to write multiple sessions to CD-R media for
the purpose of backing up my data. It works like a charm.

"Karen Christmas" <Karen Christmas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:B2058B0A-2216-4E92-A986-A986CA06FF60@microsoft.com...
> I would like to create a document in word and save it to a CD-R, and then
on
> a different day create another document and save this to the same CD-R. I
> have tried this but had to write the document, save it into "My Docs",
then
> drag it across onto the CD drive in My Computer, this seems a very long
> process to do a simple task! What am I doing wrong?

Hi,

That's the process using Windows default programs. To save directly to CD
would require packet writing software.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Karen Christmas wrote:
> I would like to create a document in word and save it to a CD-R, and
> then on a different day create another document and save this to the
> same CD-R. I have tried this but had to write the document, save it
> into "My Docs", then drag it across onto the CD drive in My Computer,
> this seems a very long process to do a simple task! What am I doing
> wrong?

Nothing - that's the way it works. Windows does not support packet writing.
To do what you wish, you must purchase third party software.
on salads.

"Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| You would need to create a "multi-session enabled" disk to do what you
wish.
| Or use some form of packet writing (UDF format) software like Nero's InCD
or
| Roxio's DirectCD. I use Nero to write multiple sessions to CD-R media for
| the purpose of backing up my data. It works like a charm.

XP does multi-session burning--that's what the OP described and is trying to
avoid.

Karen Christmas wrote:

> I would like to create a document in word and save it to a CD-R, and then on
> a different day create another document and save this to the same CD-R. I
> have tried this but had to write the document, save it into "My Docs", then
> drag it across onto the CD drive in My Computer, this seems a very long
> process to do a simple task! What am I doing wrong?

DON'T DO IT!

CDs are real cheap, and trying to leave one open for subsequent
additions can result in losing yer data.

How do I know? I have a CD with three years of pictures on it, but all
that can be retrieved is the last addition.

mo

"mike gray" <omgray@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> Karen Christmas wrote:
>
>> I would like to create a document in word and save it to a CD-R, and then
>> on a different day create another document and save this to the same
>> CD-R. I have tried this but had to write the document, save it into "My
>> Docs", then drag it across onto the CD drive in My Computer, this seems a
>> very long process to do a simple task! What am I doing wrong?
>
> DON'T DO IT!
>
> CDs are real cheap, and trying to leave one open for subsequent additions
> can result in losing yer data.
>
> How do I know? I have a CD with three years of pictures on it, but all
> that can be retrieved is the last addition.

roxio ez cd creator 5 platinum allows you to close session
but leave disc open so you can add to it later. best part
with that way is you don't need roxio to see these discs
on another computer

mo wrote:
> "mike gray" <omgray@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>
>>Karen Christmas wrote:
>>

>>>I would like to create a document in word and save it to a CD-R, and then
>>>on a different day create another document and save this to the same
>>>CD-R. I have tried this but had to write the document, save it into "My
>>>Docs", then drag it across onto the CD drive in My Computer, this seems a
>>>very long process to do a simple task! What am I doing wrong?
>>
>>DON'T DO IT!
>>
>>CDs are real cheap, and trying to leave one open for subsequent additions
>>can result in losing yer data.
>>
>>How do I know? I have a CD with three years of pictures on it, but all
>>that can be retrieved is the last addition.

> roxio ez cd creator 5 platinum allows you to close session
> but leave disc open so you can add to it later. best part
> with that way is you don't need roxio to see these discs
> on another computer

My error occured with Roxio.

Most (all?) cd writers allow a disc to be left open for later additions.

It's also very easy with all to lose access to the prior entries on the
disc. One session = one disc is the only safe way to go.

mike gray wrote:
> mo wrote:
>
>> "mike gray" <omgray@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

>>> DON'T DO IT!
>>>
>>> CDs are real cheap, and trying to leave one open for subsequent
>>> additions can result in losing yer data.
>>>
>>> How do I know? I have a CD with three years of pictures on it, but
>>> all that can be retrieved is the last addition.

>> roxio ez cd creator 5 platinum allows you to close session
>> but leave disc open so you can add to it later. best part
>> with that way is you don't need roxio to see these discs
>> on another computer
>

> My error occured with Roxio.
>
> Most (all?) cd writers allow a disc to be left open for later additions.
>
> It's also very easy with all to lose access to the prior entries on the
> disc. One session = one disc is the only safe way to go.

Google for ISO Buster and download it. It's a free program that will
allow you to access those "inaccessible" sessions and retrieve the data.

Raymond J. Johnson Jr. wrote:

> Google for ISO Buster and download it. It's a free program that will
> allow you to access those "inaccessible" sessions and retrieve the data.

HOLEY MOLEY IT WORKS!

You are a genius, a scholar and a gentleman, saved my bacon.

Bartender, take good care of my friend!

mike gray wrote:
> Raymond J. Johnson Jr. wrote:
>

>> Google for ISO Buster and download it. It's a free program that will
>> allow you to access those "inaccessible" sessions and retrieve the data.
>

> HOLEY MOLEY IT WORKS!
>
> You are a genius, a scholar and a gentleman, saved my bacon.
>
> Bartender, take good care of my friend!

Glad it worked for you. It's one of the best freebies out there.