How to disable Windows file protection 2000 SP4

Windows file protection keeps overwriting the shdocvw.dll file on my Windows
2000 Server preventing me from viewing the desktop until I restore the file
with a fresh copy using Recovery console. I have viewed several articles that
explain how to disable Windows file protection but it seems to require the
use of a hex editor. I downloaded the hex editor XVI32 but I don't have a
clue on how to use it. Anybody know how to modify the sfc.dll file in a hex
editor to disable Windows file protection for Windows 2000 SP4? I have the
values that need to be modified in the article, but don't know how to make
the change. Here is the article mentioned above.

http://www.jsifaq.com/subk/tip5300/rh5392.htm

Any help would be appreciated!

Mark Segal fumbled, fiddled and fingered:

> Windows file protection keeps overwriting the shdocvw.dll file on my
> Windows 2000 Server preventing me from viewing the desktop until I
> restore the file with a fresh copy using Recovery console. I have
> viewed several articles that explain how to disable Windows file
> protection but it seems to require the use of a hex editor. I
> downloaded the hex editor XVI32 but I don't have a clue on how to use
> it. Anybody know how to modify the sfc.dll file in a hex editor to
> disable Windows file protection for Windows 2000 SP4? I have the
> values that need to be modified in the article, but don't know how to
> make the change. Here is the article mentioned above.
>
> http://www.jsifaq.com/subk/tip5300/rh5392.htm
>
> Any help would be appreciated!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q222473/

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/msi/setup/windows_file_protection_on_windows_2000_and_windows_xp.asp

HTH?

--
Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

Steve,

As I had stated earlier, I had the information your posted articles
supplied, but I needed help with the hex editor. I found an easier hex editor
and successfully made the changes.

Mark Segal wrote:
> Steve,
>
> As I had stated earlier, I had the information your posted articles
> supplied, but I needed help with the hex editor. I found an easier hex
> editor and successfully made the changes.

Also just a fyi, I had disabled mine before on both 2Kpro and XPro but
eventually put it back because of a few reasons I found it was a p.i.t.a but
of which because of having a senior moment I've forgotten the reasons but
decided it was more hassle than it was worth, and realized it wasn't so bad
to have it on afterall.

Although in your case because you said your shdocvw.dll kept getting
returned, but I think that's because whatever the last program that installed
it still is calling for that particular version of it so it keeps putting it
back even though that version is not working for you.

Anyway after you turn it off you should delete all items in the DLLcache
folder - save them if you like for a bit, but you may find after you
re-enable WFP & have rebooted you should perform an SFC /SCANNOW to run the
WFP & this will also re-cache Protected System files assuming you deleted the
contents of the dllcache, and then you can be on your way hopefully without
that shdocvw.dll reverting ...there is an easier way to do it by just
removing the individual call for it but I don't have the words at the moment
to explain it properly.

I'd be interested if any MVP's and/or experienced users who have more
knowledge and information whether it's a good idea to disable WFP would post
their tips.

Rick