Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Stolen macbook pro

Last response: in Mac Os X
January 30, 2013 6:13:24 PM

i lost my macbook pro,I did activate i cloud.i want to find out that if the thief delete all data on hard drive ,like formats the hard drive and install a fresh operating system,either lion or leopard, then will I still be able to locate my device ??

More about : stolen macbook pro

January 30, 2013 6:38:20 PM

No... Contact Apple...
m
l
January 30, 2013 6:49:55 PM

Brett928S2 said:
No... Contact Apple...

Thanks Brett,
1) But if my icloud is activated,cant I sign in to my icloud on another computer and locate my lost macbook pro via Icloud?

2) what support Apple can provide in this regard?
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 30, 2013 6:58:33 PM

If the person has connected it to the internet, hasn't formatted it or taken off the icloud settings then you will be able to track it.

Apple will record down that the item was stolen, from my understanding, this would help in case the person decided to bring it in for warranty work ect.
m
l
January 30, 2013 7:02:56 PM

rshillshooter81 said:
If the person has connected it to the internet, hasn't formatted it or taken off the icloud settings then you will be able to track it.

Apple will record down that the item was stolen, from my understanding, this would help in case the person decided to bring it in for warranty work ect.

Is not my Icloud account is registered with Apple server? Therefore by just wiping and formatting Hard drive,still i should be able to operate my Icloud and thus can locate the device?
Please respond
m
l
January 30, 2013 7:03:16 PM

I feel bad for the thief. He's gonna have to bother with OS X
m
l
January 30, 2013 7:16:44 PM

Is not my Icloud account is registered with Apple server? Therefore by just wiping and formatting Hard drive,still i should be able to operate my Icloud and thus can locate the device?
Please respond
m
l
January 30, 2013 7:23:29 PM

Maybe. Call Apple support and ask them.
m
l

Best solution

January 30, 2013 8:01:22 PM

jiuki said:
Please respond

The icloud account has nothing to do with the device, if someone format's the computer, or removes your icloud settings from the computer, when you dial into www.icloud.com you wont be able to track the device anymore.

However, in order to track the device by logging into the website the computer has to have an active internet connection.

I would think if the criminal is an idiot he will just take it home and start using it without any idea it can be tracked and get onto the internet. If the thief knows better he would format the computer before getting on the internet.
January 30, 2013 8:09:03 PM

rshillshooter81 said:
The icloud account has nothing to do with the device, if someone format's the computer, or removes your icloud settings from the computer, when you dial into www.icloud.com you wont be able to track the device anymore.

However, in order to track the device by logging into the website the computer has to have an active internet connection.

I would think if the criminal is an idiot he will just take it home and start using it without any idea it can be tracked and get onto the internet. If the thief knows better he would format the computer before getting on the internet.

Thanks for reply,
But Icloud acoount is registered at Apple Server,therefore cant Icloud be still opened from another computer??
m
l
January 30, 2013 8:17:32 PM

jiuki said:
Thanks for reply,
But Icloud acoount is registered at Apple Server,therefore cant Icloud be still opened from another computer??

You aren't understanding, icloud can be opened from any browser on any device that has a browser that likely supports html5 lol.

so you go to www.icloud.com login, click track my iPhone but it will list all devices , if you see a green dot next to your laptop you know the thief is using it and you can see where he is go take it back (bring the police).
m
l
January 30, 2013 8:21:02 PM

Best answer selected by jiuki.
m
l
January 30, 2013 8:32:41 PM

rshillshooter81 said:
You aren't understanding, icloud can be opened from any browser on any device that has a browser that likely supports html5 lol.

so you go to www.icloud.com login, click track my iPhone but it will list all devices , if you see a green dot next to your laptop you know the thief is using it and you can see where he is go take it back (bring the police).

many thanks.
My macbook was still under warranty,so can Thief claim warranty from apple in case he needs to repair or service the macbook.?I think he will have to provide serial no. of the macbook.Cant Apple detect at that time that it is a stolen laptop?
I am sorry for too many questions,but my knowledge of computer is very basic.
m
l
April 23, 2014 12:53:38 PM

But what happens if the user formats the HDD, even if blocked by the owner ?!

If the HDD gets removed from the computer, connected to another computer and then formatted, will the lock still remains there?
Because at this point, you don't have to worry about icloud..
m
l
July 5, 2014 6:07:27 PM

Brett928S2 said:
No... Contact Apple...

but the new ios 7 on the iphone keeps people out even if they erase and install, why not the macbook pro?
m
l
!