Slow start up.

Hi, I have a problem that has been bugging me for a while. And I notice
out of 10 people I know, me along with 2 others have this problem. Well
everytime I start up windows I takes very long. The problem is, when
everything loads up and the desktop loads up fully with all icons and no
noise from hard drive showing it is loading I have to wait around 10-20
seconds more when the desktop is loaded before anything is actually working.
See when its all loaded, and say I try to open My Computer I get the
searching flash light animation. This as well applies to other programs
because when I double-click them, nothing happens. And say if I open
internet explorer, it'll be a blank page, and nothing will work. And when
after those 10-20 seconds when everything loads right away I get a little
noise sometimes from my hard drive as if it just searched for something.

I have windows xp pro with service pack 2. And I am currently updated with
everything with every driver and latest bios update. My system was purchased
in the summer and I have had this problem a month after purchase. I have
done 3 reformats allready, and each time I installed either norton
antivirus, or mcafee, and i'v noticed each time I install a virus scanning
software this occurs. I currently have no anti-virus software installed, I
un-installed norton which was installed. But i dont know if its these virus
scanning softwares that are causing this. If anyone could help, it would be
great.

My system specs are :

Intel D865GBF mother board, 800mhz
Intel 3GHz, 1 MB cache, (HT technology)
1 GB, Kingston DDR 400MHZ RAM
Western digital, 160 GB, 7200 RPM, with 8MB cache
ATI Radeon 9550 256 MB
Sound Max 3D sound.
2 answers Last reply
More about slow start

    To avoid repetition, please read the answers to post "Dual Boot Questions"
    (Ben Hardy, originally posted 16 Jan (Ben's problem was similar to yours).

    Other possibilities you should try - full defrag, and, a little patience.
    Even when the desktop is fully populated with icons, there's still a bit of
    activity going on - 20 seconds isn't that long.
    It's dangerous to run without anti-virus - try downloading AVG (it's free,
    very good, and configures for automatic updates).
    Also download and run AntiSpam software (Spysweeper or similar) and Lavasoft
    AdAware.

    Finally - go to www,pcpitstop.com and run the full t4ests (anonymously).
    Results might be useful.

    Hope this helps Len

    "Peter Kopala" <peter.kopala@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > Hi, I have a problem that has been bugging me for a while. And I notice
    > out of 10 people I know, me along with 2 others have this problem. Well
    > everytime I start up windows I takes very long. The problem is, when
    > everything loads up and the desktop loads up fully with all icons and no
    > noise from hard drive showing it is loading I have to wait around 10-20
    > seconds more when the desktop is loaded before anything is actually
    > working. See when its all loaded, and say I try to open My Computer I get
    > the searching flash light animation. This as well applies to other
    > programs because when I double-click them, nothing happens. And say if I
    > open internet explorer, it'll be a blank page, and nothing will work. And
    > when after those 10-20 seconds when everything loads right away I get a
    > little noise sometimes from my hard drive as if it just searched for
    > something.
    >
    > I have windows xp pro with service pack 2. And I am currently updated with
    > everything with every driver and latest bios update. My system was
    > purchased in the summer and I have had this problem a month after
    > purchase. I have done 3 reformats allready, and each time I installed
    > either norton antivirus, or mcafee, and i'v noticed each time I install a
    > virus scanning software this occurs. I currently have no anti-virus
    > software installed, I un-installed norton which was installed. But i dont
    > know if its these virus scanning softwares that are causing this. If
    > anyone could help, it would be great.
    >
    > My system specs are :
    >
    > Intel D865GBF mother board, 800mhz
    > Intel 3GHz, 1 MB cache, (HT technology)
    > 1 GB, Kingston DDR 400MHZ RAM
    > Western digital, 160 GB, 7200 RPM, with 8MB cache
    > ATI Radeon 9550 256 MB
    > Sound Max 3D sound.

    Poor system performance can be the result of a single problem or a
    combination of factors. Listed
    below are issues, which you may wish to examine if you are experiencing
    poor performance after
    the boot process has completed. Some items may help with slow starting
    of Windows XP but the
    list has not been prepared for tackling that problem. Work through the
    list until you achieve an
    acceptable result.

    Regular and effective housekeeping is essential. What you do and how
    often you do it will depend
    on how you use your computer. A suggested routine may include:
    1. In Outlook Express empty your Deleted Items folder.
    2. In Outlook Express run File, Folder, Compact All whilst OFFLINE.
    3. Run Disk Cleanup. Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk
    Cleanup with
    Temporary Internet Files, Offline Web Pages (optional), System Restore
    ( more Options tab )
    and Recycle Bin selected for deletion. If you have more than one drive /
    partition you may
    need to do this operation for each drive / partition.
    4. Remove Cookies. Start, Control Panel, Internet Options, General,
    Delete Cookies.
    5. Run Disk Defragmenter.

    Check whether you could reduce the number of days the History of sites
    visited is retained. Start,
    Control Panel, Internet Options, General, History.

    Spyware causes many problems. If not installed download Adaware and / or
    update Reference file
    from http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/ and use it to remove
    parasites. If Spyware
    persists as a problem try a Hosts file.
    http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/what_is_hosts.html

    Slow performance resulting from insufficient memory, causing over
    reliance on virtual memory,
    may be especially noticed by those upgrading to Windows XP from an
    earlier version of Windows.
    Windows XP will run with 64 MB of RAM memory. However, a minimum of 256
    MB is
    recommended and many users will recommend 512 MB. You may check on
    pagefile (virtual
    memory) usage with Page File Monitor for XP:
    http://www.dougknox.com/

    Check how much free space you have on the hard drive / partition where
    your pagefile is located.
    You need a minimum of 15% but 20% or more is better.

    Check your setting for the Indexing Service. Start, Administrative
    Tools, Services, Indexing
    Service. The default setting is Manual. Check that it is not running.
    More information here:
    http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/service411.htm#Indexing_Service

    You can have too many programmes running in the background. Close
    programmes/windows after
    use. Check whether all the programmes loading when Windows is started
    are really necessary.
    http://aumha.org/a/loads.htm

    Check whether you can identify slow performance with a particular
    programme. Look in Google to
    see whether others have encountered the same problem and found a
    solution.
    http://groups.google.com/

    Are there any error messages in Event Viewer? You can access Event
    Viewer by selecting Start,
    Administrative Tools, and Event Viewer. When researching the meaning of
    the error, information
    regarding Event ID: and Source Description is important.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427&Product=winxp

    ~~~~~~

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "Peter Kopala" <peter.kopala@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > Hi, I have a problem that has been bugging me for a while. And I
    > notice out of 10 people I know, me along with 2 others have this
    > problem. Well everytime I start up windows I takes very long. The
    > problem is, when everything loads up and the desktop loads up fully
    > with all icons and no noise from hard drive showing it is loading I
    > have to wait around 10-20 seconds more when the desktop is loaded
    > before anything is actually working. See when its all loaded, and say
    > I try to open My Computer I get the searching flash light animation.
    > This as well applies to other programs because when I double-click
    > them, nothing happens. And say if I open internet explorer, it'll be
    > a blank page, and nothing will work. And when after those 10-20
    > seconds when everything loads right away I get a little noise
    > sometimes from my hard drive as if it just searched for something.
    >
    > I have windows xp pro with service pack 2. And I am currently updated
    > with everything with every driver and latest bios update. My system
    > was purchased in the summer and I have had this problem a month after
    > purchase. I have done 3 reformats allready, and each time I installed
    > either norton antivirus, or mcafee, and i'v noticed each time I
    > install a virus scanning software this occurs. I currently have no
    > anti-virus software installed, I un-installed norton which was
    > installed. But i dont know if its these virus scanning softwares that
    > are causing this. If anyone could help, it would be great.
    >
    > My system specs are :
    >
    > Intel D865GBF mother board, 800mhz
    > Intel 3GHz, 1 MB cache, (HT technology)
    > 1 GB, Kingston DDR 400MHZ RAM
    > Western digital, 160 GB, 7200 RPM, with 8MB cache
    > ATI Radeon 9550 256 MB
    > Sound Max 3D sound.

Windows XP