Sign in with
Your question

when will a direct x 10 game come out?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 23, 2006 11:07:21 PM

when will a direct x 10 game come out? i heard about flight sim being patched, will any others do this you think ? just curious . my rma refund just came through so im going to get my gf 8800 gts. man will i be poor for the new year lol. :?

More about : direct game

December 23, 2006 11:10:22 PM

Next year. Well after Vista's release.
December 24, 2006 2:18:25 AM

I think Bioshock will be one of the first. Alan Wake is scheduled to come out soon too.

Company of Heros is also supposed to get a DX10 patch soon.

But who knows. Count on Flight Sim X to be the first DX10 game.
Related resources
a c 358 U Graphics card
December 24, 2006 5:11:17 AM

Supreme Commander will also take advantage of DX10 as well. No firm date yet, but sometime in H1 2007.
December 24, 2006 5:43:33 AM

CANT WAIT FOR CRYSIS. MAN OH MAN. NOW ALL WE NEED IS A MODERN JEDI KNIGHT Game and quake wars to come out. :p 
December 24, 2006 6:00:00 AM

Quake Wars is still down as May 2007 I think - I'm just waiting for it to be delayed once again....

Crysis has already slipped again to September...
December 24, 2006 6:13:09 AM

Anyone heard about that upcoming PC game, Armed Assault? Does it supports DX10? And Crysis, that game will be a long wait.
December 24, 2006 6:55:29 AM

Quote:
I think Bioshock will be one of the first. Alan Wake is scheduled to come out soon too.

The premise of Alan Wake intrigues me. While I'm sure Alan Wake will have a DX 9.0c legacy mode, for those without a DX10 card, what is interesting is that it's not just multithreaded, but will require a dual core.
a c 358 U Graphics card
December 24, 2006 11:00:06 AM

Yeah, Alan Wake will be the first game to require dual core. I read that the game will be running 5 threads on it's own. I assume one thread for AI, sound, physics, graphics and not sure about the last one.

I'm pretty sure all games for the next 2 years (at least) will be DX9/DX10 hybrids. Support for DX9 probably will not be dropped until MS publicly states it plans to roll out DX11 within a year or so. DX8.1 survived until this year.
December 24, 2006 11:08:15 AM

Quote:

Support for DX9 probably will not be dropped until MS publicly states it plans to roll out DX11 within a year or so. DX8.1 survived until this year.

I hadn't heard that DX11 would come out so soon after DX10, perhaps they'll delay it because Vista delayed DX10? I'd also expect more of the incremental improvements we'd seen with DX9 for a few years.

Still using an AIW Radeon 9800 Pro, but planning on getting an X1950 Pro AGP by mid February. Then, I'll think about that dual core that Alan Wake will require.

Funny, the message board links an outdated card like the Radeon 9800 Pro, but not the newer X1950 Pro. Is this proof that ATI and Nvidia make most of their money with older card sales?
a c 358 U Graphics card
December 24, 2006 11:14:21 AM

To clarify, when MS thinks DX11 has been developed to the point where they can release it within a year, then DX9 support will begin to drop.

I'm guessing MS will not even announce DX11 until at least the middle of 2009.
December 26, 2006 4:50:21 AM

Good Ole MS is already announcing the Direct x 10.1 update.
December 26, 2006 5:42:31 AM

Crysis is supposed to be INSANE!!! check out the trailers and look at the clarity of the game. its godly.
December 26, 2006 5:49:51 AM

If it ain't updated (every 6 months), it ain't Microsoft! :D 

Too bad Halo 2 Vista won't be DX10, though I suppose it would be a tall order to re-write the entire game using a new API.

Crysis interests me, I like the island premise (see wiki article for traces of plot and setting). I wonder if we'll see draw distances and clarity of Oblivion's scale (saw those nice screenshots).
December 26, 2006 3:54:33 PM

Halo has to be DX10, otherwise u wouldnt need Vista to play it.. and u do.
Moreover, they did create a lot of the game from scratch. The reason it took 3 years to get it to a PC isnt just that Microsoft wanted to raise Xbox sells.

Alan wake isnt going to need a dual core, and if u had a dual core it wouldnt have 5 threads, but only 2, or 4 with HT. Also, u dont need a core/thread for Sound.. it dosent take that much. And even if u did, most ppl buy sound cards anyway.
It is rumored that Alan Wake will be able to utilize a Quad-Core CPU, probably because Intel and AMD paid them to incorporate it, so that it wouldnt be COMPLETELY useless.
December 26, 2006 6:27:14 PM

when is dx10 comming out for XP, thats what i want to know, cause i dont think vista will be worth it for the first year
December 26, 2006 6:47:54 PM

DX10 is NOT "coming out" for XP. DX10 will only be for Vista.

You can still play DX10 games in XP but you will not get the same eye candy as you will get playing it in Vista.
December 26, 2006 10:18:04 PM

Quote:
Moreover, they did create a lot of the game from scratch. The reason it took 3 years to get it to a PC isnt just that Microsoft wanted to raise Xbox sells.

Alan wake isnt going to need a dual core, and if u had a dual core it wouldnt have 5 threads, but only 2, or 4 with HT. Also, u dont need a core/thread for Sound.. it dosent take that much. And even if u did, most ppl buy sound cards anyway.
It is rumored that Alan Wake will be able to utilize a Quad-Core CPU, probably because Intel and AMD paid them to incorporate it, so that it wouldnt be COMPLETELY useless.

Halo 2 will release built on DirectX 9 (no DX 10 support), look here (scroll down about 1/4 of the way). Halos 1 and 2 were designed for the Xbox, through and through, a console which is DirectX 9 based. The first two Halos are thus DirectX 9 based. Recoding the second one to be DX 10 capable is not an investment of time or money Microsoft or Bungie (Halo's developer) are ready to make. I'm guessing the Vista exclusive release is to boost Vista sales. Sorry that I'm cynical, but it would be a good marketing strategy, and it's the only other reason why it would be Vista only (they could be trying to integrate Windows Live crap into multiplayer, but who really needs that?).
December 26, 2006 10:39:42 PM

Quote:

Halo 2 will release built on DirectX 9 (no DX 10 support), look here (scroll down about 1/4 of the way). Halos 1 and 2 were designed for the Xbox, through and through, a console which is DirectX 9 based. The first two Halos are thus DirectX 9 based. Recoding the second one to be DX 10 capable is not an investment of time or money Microsoft or Bungie (Halo's developer) are ready to make. I'm guessing the Vista exclusive release is to boost Vista sales. Sorry that I'm cynical, but it would be a good marketing strategy, and it's the only other reason why it would be Vista only (they could be trying to integrate Windows Live crap into multiplayer, but who really needs that?).

The xbox is directx 8
December 26, 2006 10:49:56 PM

Oops! You're right, it is DX 8. Doesn't change much though. Thanks for the heads up.
!