How do you overlcock?

eatinpaper

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
I have an e6400 and see that people are overclocking their cpus all the way into the 1.4 volt range. I overclocked my cpu to 3.2 ghz and my load temps are about 56 degrees on air cooling, maybe a little lower, and my vcore is at about 1.27 volts. I ran prime95 for 5 hours straight any my comp is perfectly fine. Is this normal and if I try to overclock my cpu more will my temps suddenly rise dramatically. Also for some reason from 333 fsb to 400 fsb my temps have stayed generally about 53-56 degrees. I am new to overclocking this much so did I just get a godly chip where the sky is the limit and if I buy a water cooling kit will I just be cranking my fsb up and still have a solid 56 degrees under load when my cpu is running at 4 ghz? Or am I just a dreamer that doesn't know how to overclock and someone who is just on the verge of turning their computer into the new exploding duron that has spread all over the web?

I have an e6400 and see that people are overclocking their cpus all the way into the 1.4 volt range. I overclocked my cpu to 3.2 ghz and my load temps are about 56 degrees on air cooling, maybe a little lower, and my vcore is at about 1.27 volts. I ran prime95 for 5 hours straight any my comp is perfectly fine. Is this normal and if I try to overclock my cpu more will my temps suddenly rise dramatically. Also for some reason from 333 fsb to 400 fsb my temps have stayed generally about 53-56 degrees. I am new to overclocking this much so did I just get a godly chip where the sky is the limit and if I buy a water cooling kit will I just be cranking my fsb up and still have a solid 56 degrees under load when my cpu is running at 4 ghz? Or am I just a dreamer that doesn't know how to overclock and someone who is just on the verge of turning their computer into the new exploding duron that has spread all over the web?
You need good cooling to get your CPU up to 1.4V. And no, CPU's cannot explode. You can't send enough voltage thru it for that to happen.

eatinpaper

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
Maybe I'm confused because for example in the article where Toms Hardware overclocks their cpu to 3.33 ghz they say their voltages are 1.48 and cpuz says its 1.34. Which is right? Also I think I did actually see an exploding duron on youtube or something like that.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
Maybe I'm confused because for example in the article where Toms Hardware overclocks their cpu to 3.33 ghz they say their voltages are 1.48 and cpuz says its 1.34. Which is right? Also I think I did actually see an exploding duron on youtube or something like that.
Just because you saw it on youtube, doesn't mean it actually happened; it was 100% fake.

That was a M80. CPU's smoke a lot if you are stupid enough, or have the excuse of science, when you do that.. But barring HE or connecting it to a car and revving the engine, its virtually impossible for it to explode.

The thermoelectric properties of both AMD and Intel processors prevent such from ever occurring.

Two, it is impossible without an high powered generator or serious voltage modifications to send that much power to the CPU. The board would melt before the CPU ever had the chance to explode for one. No matter how much you overvolt the CPU, it smokes. It doesn't explode.
(See Toms Hardware CPU Overclock Video)

Three, you can clearly see that the fan on the heatsink is no running even when plugged in, denoting that the motherboard in fact, has no power running to it.

Four, that image on the screen is in all likelihood, connected to a separate computer located out of the view of the camera.

Five, that hole in CPU socket is too clean to occur from any silicon explosion. This is caused by a low grade explosive, not dissimilar to a M80, M100 or a common firecracker.

Real it may look, but it is a fake. An elaborate hoax, but a hoax none the less.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
I guess that makes sense but they must have done a good job of not showing the gunpowder or whatever they used.

if it was gunpowder you woudlnt see it as it would all explode.
it also looked like a precut hole in the table to.

mr dewd probably seen that to. :lol:

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
toms had real footage of meltdowns,they dont explode.you can see smoke from a fuse under the table.it had to have been more than just a firecracker.

there are several ways to do that trick.the table hole was precut,so the explosive device was either between the cpu and the mobo,or underneath.
id vote underneath by the smoke.a model rocket engine fuse attached to the right circuit could be used as an ignition device.
:lol: this reminds me of the glorious time of my childhood when I put crackers inside empty bottles... sh!t, that was war stuff :oops:

TRENDING THREADS