recording guitar- newb questions

twanto

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2002
I'd like to do some recording with my guitar on the computer. What would be a reasonable hardware set-up for doing something like this?

Based on my limited knowledge, right now I'm thinking 2 things: sound card (xtrememusic) and some sort of pre-amp thing.

Anyone here know anything about this stuff?

kstrat2001

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
You may want to look into purchasing something that is more geared toward recording.

Creative sound cards are really optimized for output and although they claim that you can record with high quality this is not always the case. This is especially a problem if the card doesn't have 1/4 inch jacks or XLR jacks for vocals or acoustic guitar.

Try reading this article:

http://www.denguru.com/2005/08/16/choosing_the_right_hardware_for_your_digital_audio_studio/

after some research I bought the Lexicon Omega and currently use it on my mac.

For some sound samples check this out:

twanto

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2002
A preamp would provide 1/4" jacks. Also the soundcard will also be used for gaming and music listening- I don't want to get one that is great for recording but crap for the other two. I'm just doing minimal stuff here- nothing too serious (i.e. expensive). But I don't want to just plug right into my computer. I want a semi-half-decent solution.

kstrat2001

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
You would probably be ok with a Creative card then. I don' think gaming would be the same without my Audigy 4.

If you get more serious about recording later on then you can upgrade to a more functional sound card. It's no hurry though and it keeps the cash in the pocket to get something versitile/cheap like the X-fi extreme music or Audigy 4.

I also think that the DVD Audio playback is something to go for even if you only buy the downward spiral remix in 5.1

Have fun.