when's a better time to buy

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Sometimes memory prices will drop a bit after x-mas for a few days or weeks, but its not a certainty...other than that, im not sure if their is much difference!

Best,

3Ball

mpjesse

Splendid
Yeah it's tought to say. Historically though prices really drop about 3 weeks before Christmas. The thing is though they usually stick after Christmas. Also there's a lot of x-mas deals before x-mas... so consider that.

Either way this is the best time of the yr to build a new system if you're looking to save $$$.

endyen

Splendid
Places like newegg rely on volumn and quick turnover rather thang high profit margin. They dont usually have a lot of room for "sale" prices.
As a result, the best time to buy is when you have the money.

mattthenewb

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2003
The above posts are probably valid for online vendors. However, local vendors are probably different. I know around me (greater Detroit area) there's a place I like to call "The Nexus" where you find a Micro Center, CompUSA, Best Buy, and Circuit City, as well as other small computer and electronics retailers, all within walking distance. Although the normal prices can never beat online vendors, you can occasionally get some great sales when they all are competing to unload merchandise. For me, right after Christmas can yield steals as good as Black Friday or better. I'm sure every local vendor has deals after Christmas just because of the nature of the business. If a local guy stocks up for Christmas and he doesn't sell, he has to clear inventory. Online vendors on the otherhand are all inventory, so they're harder to catch in a bind.

secunda

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2005
I am building a New gaming PC....I have already bought just about everything except (CPU, VGA, Motherboard & Memory) basically the Heart of the PC...I am waiting to get these items for a few reason....
1) Prices right now are to high on the CPU & DX-10 Card I want.
<prices will be dropping around 1st & 2nd Qt of 2007....on the stuff that is out NOW>
2)also, keeps me from spending est. 3k all at once....ouch

Conclusion: If your one of those people that can't wait..I say go an head an buy Now......But, if you can wait until prices fall some during the 1st & 2nd Qt-2007....you'll save on $$$

DennyCraneBL

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
Everything you buy will probably get cheaper over time, if you need it now - buy it now, if the items you want are on sale now - buy them now.

For me, when the product gets a point where the price is justified - I buy it, I don't regret it if it will be cheaper in 2 months.

If you're getting a Core 2 Duo processor, big cuts coming early next year.

AMD also just announced some cuts, so a few weeks and you should see better prices.

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
March / April 2007 and then October 2007 will be the best times to buy next year.

Buying right before Christmas is pointless.

ie: All those people who got GeForce 8800 GTX cards will be feeling sore come March, when they are only 50% to 70% as good as the next top of the line cards.

8) Tabris:DarkPeace

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
October? Geesh... Your crystal ball is pretty good. Mine's cloudy about even the March / April timeframe. So when are DDR2 prices gonna drop? When's the R600 gonna release to retail? When's Vista gonna become not only stable, but also mainstream? When's...

Enough when's.

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
October? Geesh... Your crystal ball is pretty good. Mine's cloudy about even the March / April timeframe. So when are DDR2 prices gonna drop? When's the R600 gonna release to retail? When's Vista gonna become not only stable, but also mainstream? When's...

Enough when's.

My crystal ball has never worked, but throw enough darts, and one's bound to hit the bullseye.

For DDR2, I suspect that by the seventh month of ought seven they will be twenty percent cheaper then by today's standards.

R600, dunno.

Vista will be mainstream two years from now, with a market share of 60%. It will be considered stable and reliable by the end of '07, but will have a few rough patches with a virus that deletes hard drives, and another that turns the computer into a bot for a Russian based mafia organization.

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
When new products come out. Let say Amd came out with a new cpu that faster then intel core 2. Which is a mybe right now. Wait a few weeks. Intel drops prices. Same with Intel when they released core 2 Amd had to drop prices.

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
The RAM market doesn't have 2 large advertised companies pitted against each other. There are several players in the market, few are manufacturers, most just re-badge and sell.

When 60nm RAM becomes common place, density (capacity) will increase and prices will drop.

This is around 4 to 8 months away.

For the same DIMM, RAM prices generally halve every 18 months.

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
OK, into predictions....

I predict that Jan. 20 2008, it won't be George Bush giving the state of the union address....

I think you've got about a 1.5% chance of being right about that. Now if you were to say 2009, I'd say your chances will have gone up to about 98.5%. Don't think Bush is getting assassinated. And I don't think the United States is going to turn into a dictatorship.

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
When you have the money. There isn't enough profit margin to get substancial discount before or after Christmas.

Only thing is... if you can live with "not top of the shelves" hardware, wait for new generation of hardware and get the older part. Only then will it cost less.

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
OK, into predictions....

I predict that Jan. 20 2008, it won't be George Bush giving the state of the union address....

Haha, sounds like somebody's hoping Mrs Clinton will be coming a year early :p

Nah, what we want to see if the Walken presidency.

http://www.walken2008.com/

I know who I'm voting for.