Recommend me a router to fit my needs

riddler123

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
I'm in the market for a new router, Currently ive went through 3 routers of normal off the shelf P.O.S's ..

What i am looking for is a router with a ton of features to mess with as i am a feature hound :p

Also want a good log on it, Maybe something like iplog in linux or such..

I was just going to make a linux router but the only PC i have extra is running a windows domain and file server so thats out of the question..

So what are some good routers that arent overly expensive and are packed full of features..

I dont use any VPN or anything such as that.

Thanks

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Well I use a netgear FVS338 router. It is a 8 port VPN with QoS. Download the manual and see if its meets your needs. It comes with VPN client software for 1 pc, so you have all you need for remote, secure access to your system from any where.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
The most versatile router option would be making one out of an old computer. If you dont want to/can't do that the best routers are the business line of routers from the various companies. They stand up to much more punishment than the home lines of routers.

Madwand

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
One option, that could be lots of fun, is a Linksys WRT54GL / G v. 1-4 with a third-party firmware. DD-WRT for example has a ton of features. Check out the manual, source code, etc.. Add your own features?

There are also other routers supported by various third-party firmware if Linksys isn't to your liking.

I have a WRT54G v.1 that's currently working as a wireless bridge, connecting as a client to a D-Link DGL-4300. The D-Link's stable and performs well, and has quite a few features, but a DD-WRT setup is better for a tweaker.