folder behavior - auto expanding folders and zip files? ho..

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Zip
  • Windows XP
January 17, 2005 11:02:10 PM

Hi all.

I'm new to XP (pro), and wish to change the folder behavior of when
clicking on a folder in the left pane, it automatically expands all
the sub-folders and any zip files in the left pane..

I don't want that to happen, how can I stop it? I checked the folder
options, but don't see what controls that.. I'm sure it's simple, but
can't find it...

there's something there about "managing pairs of web pages and
folders", but not sure if that's it or not...

can someone clarify for me?

thanks,
niteowl

More about : folder behavior auto expanding folders zip files

Anonymous
January 18, 2005 2:04:06 PM

niteowl <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:

>I'm new to XP (pro), and wish to change the folder behavior of when
>clicking on a folder in the left pane, it automatically expands all
>the sub-folders and any zip files in the left pane..

This is hardcoded-in and cannot be changed, as far as I know. You
could open "My Computer" instead of the Windows Explorer. Or use a
third-party file manager like the Total Commander
(http://www.ghisler.com/).

--
(tm)
January 18, 2005 3:08:38 PM

The only way to stop that is to turn off XP's built in zip file support.
This can be done by the following command: regsvr32 /u
%windir%\system32\zipfldr.dll
To reenable - regsvr32 %windir%\system32\zipfldr.dll
--

"niteowl" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Hi all.
>
> I'm new to XP (pro), and wish to change the folder behavior of when
> clicking on a folder in the left pane, it automatically expands all
> the sub-folders and any zip files in the left pane..
>
> I don't want that to happen, how can I stop it? I checked the folder
> options, but don't see what controls that.. I'm sure it's simple, but
> can't find it...
>
> there's something there about "managing pairs of web pages and
> folders", but not sure if that's it or not...
>
> can someone clarify for me?
>
> thanks,
> niteowl
January 18, 2005 8:16:21 PM

Hi,

Disable Simple Folder view. See this KB for more information:

Description of Simple Folder View in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=282002

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"niteowl" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:9onou01utspfii6dt9pecaleu4at4km89c@4ax.com...
Hi all.

I'm new to XP (pro), and wish to change the folder behavior of when
clicking on a folder in the left pane, it automatically expands all
the sub-folders and any zip files in the left pane..

I don't want that to happen, how can I stop it? I checked the folder
options, but don't see what controls that.. I'm sure it's simple, but
can't find it...

there's something there about "managing pairs of web pages and
folders", but not sure if that's it or not...

can someone clarify for me?

thanks,
niteowl
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 2:02:29 AM

Thanks Ramesh,

That did it..

niteowl

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 17:16:21 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
<ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Disable Simple Folder view. See this KB for more information:
>
>Description of Simple Folder View in Windows XP:
>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=282002
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 12:44:58 PM

You're welcome Niteowl.