folder behavior - auto expanding folders and zip files? ho..

Hi all.

I'm new to XP (pro), and wish to change the folder behavior of when
clicking on a folder in the left pane, it automatically expands all
the sub-folders and any zip files in the left pane..

I don't want that to happen, how can I stop it? I checked the folder
options, but don't see what controls that.. I'm sure it's simple, but
can't find it...

there's something there about "managing pairs of web pages and
folders", but not sure if that's it or not...

can someone clarify for me?

thanks,
niteowl
5 answers Last reply
More about folder behavior auto expanding folders files

    niteowl <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:

    >I'm new to XP (pro), and wish to change the folder behavior of when
    >clicking on a folder in the left pane, it automatically expands all
    >the sub-folders and any zip files in the left pane..

    This is hardcoded-in and cannot be changed, as far as I know. You
    could open "My Computer" instead of the Windows Explorer. Or use a
    third-party file manager like the Total Commander
    (http://www.ghisler.com/).

    --
    (tm)

    The only way to stop that is to turn off XP's built in zip file support.
    This can be done by the following command: regsvr32 /u
    %windir%\system32\zipfldr.dll
    To reenable - regsvr32 %windir%\system32\zipfldr.dll
    --

    "niteowl" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all.
    >
    > I'm new to XP (pro), and wish to change the folder behavior of when
    > clicking on a folder in the left pane, it automatically expands all
    > the sub-folders and any zip files in the left pane..
    >
    > I don't want that to happen, how can I stop it? I checked the folder
    > options, but don't see what controls that.. I'm sure it's simple, but
    > can't find it...
    >
    > there's something there about "managing pairs of web pages and
    > folders", but not sure if that's it or not...
    >
    > can someone clarify for me?
    >
    > thanks,
    > niteowl

    Hi,

    Disable Simple Folder view. See this KB for more information:

    Description of Simple Folder View in Windows XP:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=282002

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "niteowl" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:9onou01utspfii6dt9pecaleu4at4km89c@4ax.com...
    Hi all.

    I'm new to XP (pro), and wish to change the folder behavior of when
    clicking on a folder in the left pane, it automatically expands all
    the sub-folders and any zip files in the left pane..

    I don't want that to happen, how can I stop it? I checked the folder
    options, but don't see what controls that.. I'm sure it's simple, but
    can't find it...

    there's something there about "managing pairs of web pages and
    folders", but not sure if that's it or not...

    can someone clarify for me?

    thanks,
    niteowl

    Thanks Ramesh,

    That did it..

    niteowl

    On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 17:16:21 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
    <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Disable Simple Folder view. See this KB for more information:
    >
    >Description of Simple Folder View in Windows XP:
    >http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=282002

    You're welcome Niteowl.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "niteowl" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:1smru0tnfqrc413urntpjthu0af83evtpd@4ax.com...
    Thanks Ramesh,

    That did it..

    niteowl

    On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 17:16:21 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
    <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Disable Simple Folder view. See this KB for more information:
    >
    >Description of Simple Folder View in Windows XP:
    >http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=282002

Microsoft Zip Windows XP