Overclocking New Pc

lx_flier

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
Well im pretty new to the overclocking scene, i have never overclocked anything so i decided to post for some advice. After some research i have decided to buy a custom computer, in hopes of overclocking it and haveing a great gameing machine. Anyways this is the setup.

CPU Intel Core 2 Duo Conroe E6400 2.13GHz FSB 1066, 2MB CPU
Memory 1024 MB DDR II 800 Memory 240 Pin (Kingston) (1024 x 1)
Mother Board ASUS P5B-E Mother Board
Hard Drive 1 Seagate 250GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA
Video XFX GeForce 7600 GT 256MB Dual DVI PCI E
Case NZXT Lexa Black Full Size Aluminum Case With Armor Front Panel 500W Power Supply

I would like to overclock the cpu to ~3ghz and wanted to know how high i could overclock my ram with it being stable and not haveing to install any addition cooling devices. Was wondering if their where any guides that you would recomend. I also have a few questions.
1)How do i know if my cpu is to hot, (do i touch it?)
2)What programs do i use to test my computers stability?
3)Should i use any thermal grease? How often do i have to replace this stuff?

Anywho i would apperciate any info, im really new to this stuff. Thanks

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
1)How do i know if my cpu is to hot, (do i touch it?)
2)What programs do i use to test my computers stability?
3)Should i use any thermal grease? How often do i have to replace this stuff?

1. If you want to destroy your cpu and burn the flesh off your finger thats a great idea! :D nah, download core temp, its a temp monitor for the C2D. if you touched the bare cpu whist the pc was running it would overheat in seconds (you would have to take the hsf off). they get really hot, about 50°C or 122°F is a fairly cool temp range for an oc'ed c2d.

2. prime95, superpi, orthos, and just general cpu and gpu intensive tasks like games.

3. have you even built this pc yet? becuase the hsf that comes with the cpu has thermal grease pre-applied.

I would get an aftermarket hsf if you want to get to 3ghz, i mean, you can do it, but the temps might be a little on the hot side, nothing out of hand, but a little toasty. the tuniq tower 120 or scythe infinity are two really good ones.

lx_flier

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
Thanks alot for the reply. It should come with thermal grease applied, but just incase it doesnt i guess i will apply it. I should receive it in about two weeks.
Btw how often do you need to apply thermal grease?