Joining a Domain

I would like to know how to add a user to a domain without being connected to
the domain. Explanation:
I have a new workstation that has been imaged with the Corporate image. If I
connect this workstation at a WAN site I have no problems, but if I ship the
workstation to a non VPN site with only dial-up or DSL capability (no
router), how can I configure the user to the Domain? I can logon as local
Administrator of the workstation, and using Nortel VPN, I can use my admin
rights to access the domain, but upon a reboot, that connectivity is lost,
and I cannot logon directly from the Windows logon screen to the Domain, the
only option I have is to logon to the workstation. I therefore cannot
authenticate the user name on the domain.
--
Thanks, Dale

Dale Timberlake wrote:
> I would like to know how to add a user to a domain without being
> connected to the domain. Explanation:
> I have a new workstation that has been imaged with the Corporate
> image. If I connect this workstation at a WAN site I have no
> problems, but if I ship the workstation to a non VPN site with only
> dial-up or DSL capability (no router), how can I configure the user
> to the Domain? I can logon as local Administrator of the workstation,
> and using Nortel VPN, I can use my admin rights to access the domain,
> but upon a reboot, that connectivity is lost, and I cannot logon
> directly from the Windows logon screen to the Domain, the only option
> I have is to logon to the workstation. I therefore cannot
> authenticate the user name on the domain.

You need to get the VPN connection up before you log on.

Some VPN software (like Cisco or Checkpoint) will let you set an option to
connect before log on , or not drop a connection when you log off so you
could use the local admin account to connect , log off leaving the
connection up , and then log back on as the correct domain user.

Check the options of the VPN client for something similar

--
Alex

Hermes: "We can't afford that! Especially not Zoidberg!"
Zoidberg: "They took away my credit cards!"

www.drzoidberg.co.uk
www.sffh.co.uk
www.ebayfaq.co.uk