How to route a URL to another location

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
April 23, 2005 2:14:01 AM

Hi there,

I am using a Windows 2000 Server. I have this local forum at
http://server/forum

But I moved this forum to another server, and the link is now http://pdc/forum

the old URL is no longer valid, and its a broken link now. How to I route
the old link, such that when users key in the old URL, they will be routed to
the new URL?

Do I add a DNS entry to solve the problem? How to I add such a DNS entry
then?

Sorry, I am not very familar with this. Please guide me thru..

More about : route url location

Anonymous
April 23, 2005 11:20:14 PM

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 22:14:01 -0700, Kelvin
<Kelvin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
microsoft.public.win2000.general:

>I am using a Windows 2000 Server. I have this local forum at
>http://server/forum
>
>But I moved this forum to another server, and the link is now http://pdc/forum
>
>the old URL is no longer valid, and its a broken link now. How to I route
>the old link, such that when users key in the old URL, they will be routed to
>the new URL?
>
>Do I add a DNS entry to solve the problem? How to I add such a DNS entry
>then?
>
>Sorry, I am not very familar with this. Please guide me thru..

Put this code as the default page on the old server:

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE></TITLE>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" CONTENT="1; URL=http://pdc/forum">
</HEAD><BODY></BODY></HTML>

April 25, 2005 12:18:03 AM

Hi there,

I can't place the codes on the old server. The old server has been removed
from the LAN. I migratted the web forum from http://server/forum to the new
server, at http://pdc/forum

Please teach me how to map, or forward this connection

"Michael Bednarek" wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 22:14:01 -0700, Kelvin
> <Kelvin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> microsoft.public.win2000.general:
>
> >I am using a Windows 2000 Server. I have this local forum at
> >http://server/forum
> >
> >But I moved this forum to another server, and the link is now http://pdc/forum
> >
> >the old URL is no longer valid, and its a broken link now. How to I route
> >the old link, such that when users key in the old URL, they will be routed to
> >the new URL?
> >
> >Do I add a DNS entry to solve the problem? How to I add such a DNS entry
> >then?
> >
> >Sorry, I am not very familar with this. Please guide me thru..
>
> Put this code as the default page on the old server:
>
> <HTML><HEAD><TITLE></TITLE>
> <META HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" CONTENT="1; URL=http://pdc/forum">
> </HEAD><BODY></BODY></HTML>
>
> --
> Michael Bednarek http://mbednarek.com/ "POST NO BILLS"

Anonymous
April 25, 2005 9:59:27 PM

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 20:18:03 -0700, "Kelvin1512"
<Kelvin1512@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
microsoft.public.win2000.general:

>I can't place the codes on the old server. The old server has been removed
>from the LAN. I migratted the web forum from http://server/forum to the new
>server, at http://pdc/forum

In that case, the second option which you originally proposed is indeed
the appropriate solution. Enter an A record in your DNS server where the
name "server" points to the IP address of "pdc", or create an alias
(CNAME) for "server" pointing to "pdc".

>Please teach me how to map, or forward this connection

Most books on Windows System Administration have an extensive section on
DNS; there are also many helpful web sites and documents published on
the Internet - http://www.dns.net/ springs to mind; also:
<http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Window...;
<http://www.iisanswers.com/articles/dns_for_iis.htm&gt;