Win 2000 doen't boot because it don't find the swap file

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
April 23, 2005 9:31:02 AM

I have make a clone with norton ghost of mi win 2000 pro to a bigger hard
disk but it don't boot. Windows shows the login screen and after that shows a
message telling "Windows don't have a swap file, go to my computer-properties
etc etc and set a swap file ..." but it don't go further. After that windows
shows the login screen again and that in a infinite loop.

Could sombody help me? Y dont want fotmatting and reinstalling all in then
the new disk if it's not neccesary

thanks
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 11:22:15 AM

These may help.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q249321

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"panicorp" wrote:
|I have make a clone with norton ghost of mi win 2000 pro to a bigger hard
| disk but it don't boot. Windows shows the login screen and after that
shows a
| message telling "Windows don't have a swap file, go to my
computer-properties
| etc etc and set a swap file ..." but it don't go further. After that
windows
| shows the login screen again and that in a infinite loop.
|
| Could sombody help me? Y dont want fotmatting and reinstalling all in then
| the new disk if it's not neccesary
|
| thanks
April 23, 2005 12:40:27 PM

In article <DA65B4D0-652F-4EDC-B6DE-3779BAB66918@microsoft.com>,
panicorp@discussions.microsoft.com, =?Utf-8?B?cGFuaWNvcnA=?= says...

> I have make a clone with norton ghost of mi win 2000 pro to a bigger hard
> disk but it don't boot. Windows shows the login screen and after that shows a
> message telling "Windows don't have a swap file, go to my computer-properties
> etc etc and set a swap file ..." but it don't go further. After that windows
> shows the login screen again and that in a infinite loop.
>
> Could sombody help me? Y dont want fotmatting and reinstalling all in then
> the new disk if it's not neccesary
>
> thanks

Boot to safe mode.....you should be able to set it from there.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 12:40:28 PM

it's the same. On safe mode it do the same booting

"ByTor" wrote:

> In article <DA65B4D0-652F-4EDC-B6DE-3779BAB66918@microsoft.com>,
> panicorp@discussions.microsoft.com, =?Utf-8?B?cGFuaWNvcnA=?= says...
>
> > I have make a clone with norton ghost of mi win 2000 pro to a bigger hard
> > disk but it don't boot. Windows shows the login screen and after that shows a
> > message telling "Windows don't have a swap file, go to my computer-properties
> > etc etc and set a swap file ..." but it don't go further. After that windows
> > shows the login screen again and that in a infinite loop.
> >
> > Could sombody help me? Y dont want fotmatting and reinstalling all in then
> > the new disk if it's not neccesary
> >
> > thanks
> >

> Boot to safe mode.....you should be able to set it from there.

Anonymous
April 24, 2005 3:05:13 AM

"panicorp" <panicorp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D A65B4D0-652F-4EDC-B6DE-3779BAB66918@microsoft.com...
> I have make a clone with norton ghost of mi win 2000 pro to a bigger hard
> disk but it don't boot. Windows shows the login screen and after that
shows a
> message telling "Windows don't have a swap file, go to my
computer-properties
> etc etc and set a swap file ..." but it don't go further. After that
windows
> shows the login screen again and that in a infinite loop.
>
> Could sombody help me? Y dont want fotmatting and reinstalling all in then
> the new disk if it's not neccesary
>
> thanks

This is a common problem after cloning hard disks. It occurs
because your drive letters have changed. Windows is now
looking for a swap file on a drive that no longer exists. The
remedy depends on your setup, i.e. if the machine is networked,
or if you have another Win2000/XP machine around, or if you
have a Bart PE boot CD.
!