Sign in with
Your question

standoffs

Last response: in Motherboards
December 24, 2006 4:12:51 AM

i am confused about the standoffs on my GA 965P S3. could some one please tell me if all the holes ( excluding the CPU fan holes) on the board require stand offs?

here is a pic of the board, i was wondering if the holes with the silver dots around them are for stand offs.
http://www.betanews.net/imagedb/thumb/2006/0808/d6cadf6...

More about : standoffs

December 24, 2006 4:30:57 AM

Pretty much, those holes are for you to screw your mobo into the standoffs, which hold the board up from below.

Some cases have built-in standoffs in the standard positions, for others you have to screw the little brass hex standoffs into the holes in the case.
a b V Motherboard
December 24, 2006 1:38:50 PM

Every hole in your case tray that matches a motherboard hole should be used to mount the motherboard.
Every hole in your case tray that does not match a motherboard hole should be left empty, avoiding any electrical shorts to ground.
Related resources
December 24, 2006 2:39:54 PM

can i lay the motherboard on the case tray with out doing any damage to it?
December 24, 2006 2:51:38 PM

You MUST use the standoffs... unless you want some pretty impressive fireworks and some blown up componants.
December 24, 2006 3:06:40 PM

lol i ment to determine the stand off placeing, the screws are not going flush to the mobo so should i use the washers?
December 25, 2006 12:17:36 AM

so long as there's nothing plugged into it, yeah.

If the screws arent gripping the motherboard, get shorter screws ;)  Or your standoffs might be stripped or mis-threaded.-
!