Choice in POST

Hi,
I have a w2k system which I wanted to reinstall on a drive that needed
to have the OS reinstalled. But instead of wiping that hdd,
I had a same size harddrive which had held an xp os, so I put my w2k os
disk in it to wipe it. (That way I could have 2 hdd's in my puter and then
pick and choose what data to keep
from the old w2k hdd without the concern of loosing any data and move
the good data to newly installed hdd over a period of time.)

The w2k os installed on the old xp hdd but I noticed one difference. After
I deleted the partitions, I normally have the choice of installing FAT or
NTFS
when I install w2k. This time, I only had the choice of NTFS.

Now even though I deleted the old partitions and reformated, the POST comes
up and then offers me the choice of
which OS to go to (w2k or xp). If I choose the xp, there is nothing there
and
it stops and says problem with proceeding. If I choose w2k, it opens into
w2k normally.

How do I remove that choice of xp in the POST??? I don't want to be
stopped
there with a choice every time. If I leave it alone, it does time out to
the default
choice which is w2k, but that adds about 30 sec. to the POST time.

HELP!!!

Thanks,
jenny

The partition size was probably > 32 gB

By default Windows 2000 installs in the \winnt directory. First Control
Panel|System|Advanced|Startup and Recovery, choose the correct System
Startup option as default, then you'll need to delete the options you want
removed from the boot.ini, it's a system, hidden file in the root of the
system partition. So you'll need to show-all-files in Explorer.
Explorer|Tools|Folder Options|View, then radio button for "Show hidden files
and folders" *and* also uncheck the box for "Hide protected operating system
files". You should end up with something like this (below). The timeout
value is not functional when there is only one startup choice. Then you can
remove the %windir% directory that your currently not using from drive. By
default Windows 2000 installs into the \winnt directory and this is the
%windir% From a command prompt
echo %windir%
will reveal the one your using (possibly \winnt2), then you can delete the
other one not in use. To be sure you can rename it, then later delete it.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000
Professional" /fastdetect

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional