Internet explorer shortcut problem

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

Hi

I have a problem. Everything was working fine until few days ago when
problems
occured. My oS is Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4 installed. Internet
Exlplorer
work fine when I type in adresses manually but when I try to open a page via
shortcut on my desktop printer, application starts up and offers to print.
What
is the problem here?
6 answers Last reply
More about internet explorer shortcut problem
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    From a command prompt;
    assoc .url
    should return with
    ..url=InternetShortcut
    If not
    assoc .url=InternetShortcut
    to restore the file type association.

    ftype internetshortcut
    should return with
    internetshortcut=rundll32.exe shdocvw.dll,OpenURL %l
    If not
    ftype internetshortcut=rundll32.exe shdocvw.dll,OpenURL %l
    to restore the default "Open" action.

    --
    Regards,

    Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Pero" wrote:
    | Hi
    |
    | I have a problem. Everything was working fine until few days ago when
    | problems
    | occured. My oS is Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4 installed. Internet
    | Exlplorer
    | work fine when I type in adresses manually but when I try to open a page
    via
    | shortcut on my desktop printer, application starts up and offers to print.
    | What
    | is the problem here?
    |
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    The "ftype internetshortcut" was bad, but the problem is still the same.

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > From a command prompt;
    > assoc .url
    > should return with
    > ..url=InternetShortcut
    > If not
    > assoc .url=InternetShortcut
    > to restore the file type association.
    >
    > ftype internetshortcut
    > should return with
    > internetshortcut=rundll32.exe shdocvw.dll,OpenURL %l
    > If not
    > ftype internetshortcut=rundll32.exe shdocvw.dll,OpenURL %l
    > to restore the default "Open" action.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Pero" wrote:
    > | Hi
    > |
    > | I have a problem. Everything was working fine until few days ago when
    > | problems
    > | occured. My oS is Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4 installed. Internet
    > | Exlplorer
    > | work fine when I type in adresses manually but when I try to open a page
    > via
    > | shortcut on my desktop printer, application starts up and offers to print.
    > | What
    > | is the problem here?
    > |
    >
    >
    >
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Explorer|Tools|Folder Options|File Types|"URL"|Advanced and make sure the
    open action is default. Failing that what happens if you logon as a new
    user? (create a new account in 'Users and Passwords').

    --
    Regards,

    Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Pero" wrote:
    | The "ftype internetshortcut" was bad, but the problem is still the same.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    I agree with Dave on that. It looks like the verb 'Print' is the default &
    not 'Open'

    All you need to do is to go into FOLDER OPTIONS in CONTROL PANEL, click the
    FILE TYPES tab, scroll down to URL & if possible click DEFAULT if there is
    an option there, if not change to 'Shell Doc Object and Control Library'

    If you click ADVANCED then:

    open = 'rundll32.exe shdocvw.dll,OpenURL %l'
    print = 'C:\WINNT\system32\mshtml.dll,PrintHTML "%1"'
    printto = 'rundll32.exe C:\WINNT\system32\mshtml.dll,PrintHTML "%1" "%2"
    "%3" "%4"'

    (without single quotes above)

    Crouchie1998
    BA (HONS) MCP MCSE
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Thanks to you guys i solve the problem.The verb "Open" was default,
    but I first changed to "Print" and than I returned to "Open".
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Glad to hear it. You're welcome.

    --
    Regards,

    Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Pero" wrote:
    | Thanks to you guys i solve the problem.The verb "Open" was default,
    | but I first changed to "Print" and than I returned to "Open".
    |
    |
    |
Ask a new question

Read More

Internet Explorer Microsoft Windows