Rairun

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
Hi all
I have Asus P5W DH Deluxe.How many HDs does this board support?The company which i bought my PC said that it's not possible to use more than 2 HDs.?I can't beleive a board like this support only two HDs.What do you know

someguyy

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
Eh. Probably means the case cant hold more than 2 hard disks.

A quick look on the asus website tells me that this board supports atleast 4 HD's. Thats just from looking at the pick though. Didnt see it in the specs.

Rairun

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
Could you show me which ones are the SATA ports?

p5w_dh_dx_2d_half.jpg

APieceOfCheese

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
In the bottom left corner of the pic: the one red input, two black ones and two orange ones.

And then the lone black input up behind the audio jacks.

The picture isn't clear enough to read but I'm fairly sure on that.

...or just look for the ones that match the sata cable...

I have no idea why they're all different colors though...

Rairun

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
Thanks mate :) .
If i'm not wrong, the orange ones are different sata ports(i don't remember exactly).And their performance is worse than the others.Is it true?

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Why do people find this board so confusing :p

Next to the red connector there are two black connectors. These are SATA/300 connectors on the ICH7R southbridge and support any HDD or Optical drive fine.

The two orange connectors to the left in that picture, are on a Silicon Image RAID controller. This is for running RAID1, RAID0, or JBOD on two drives. No drivers are required for this, (no F6 on windows install crap) but they are limited to SATA/150, as this controller is interfaced via the missing SATA/300 connector from the ICH7R.

This is in practice no limitation tho, no hard disk can challenge the limits of SATA/150 anyway, hell Raptors don't even support SATA/300. The advantage gained by offloading the CPU load to the Silicon Image controller outweighs the loss due to SATA/150 many times over.

The final SATA/300 port is from the Jmicron controller, and is in black between the WLAN module and the audio output jacks.

This has the advantage of being seen by Windows as SCSI, and so is very useful if you have an SATA DVD±RW drive and are having issues with StarForce.....

There is also an eSATA port on the back panel.

The two PATA channels support up to 2 drives each, giving an upper limit of 11 drives without adding other controllers or using port multipliers.

TRENDING THREADS