How can I log users access to shared folder?

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
April 24, 2005 10:53:01 AM

How can I log users access to shared folder and shared folder files in
Windows 2000 AS in NTFS hard?
April 24, 2005 2:50:38 PM

"Mahdi Alaei" <MahdiAlaei@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How can I log users access to shared folder and shared folder files in
> Windows 2000 AS in NTFS hard?

Thats referred to as auditing. Its configured via a Group Policy Object.

a) open Active Directory Users and Computers console as admin.
b) open the properties for the OU or domain, select the GPO tab.
c) open or create the targetted policy:
d) navigate to: computer configuration, windows settings, security settings,
local policies, audit policy.
e) open audit object access and choose Success And Failure under Audit These
Attempts. You're interested in Object access.
f) open the properties for the targetted folder, security tab, advanced
button, auditing tab. Don't forget that auditing settings may or may not be
inherited by subfolders and files within.

It may be wise to isolate security by partitioning the domain into OUs. An
Organisational Unit can include shares and users. Group Policy Objects can
be applied to any OU. This way you control which GPO applies to what set of
objects.

The output, by the way, is written to: \ WINNT \ System32 \ Config \
secevent.evt.
!