Evga 7950GT KO for $245, good deal or so-so?

Sugarcane

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2005
The component store down the street has this on sale, 512mb version. Good deal? I know everyone keeps saying X1950XT, and I would agree, but that step up program is somewhat appealing in case the urge for an 8800 comes up. What say you?

mpjesse

Splendid
That's an OK deal. Newegg is selling it for the same amount w/ a MIR. The 512MB of RAM comes in handy for games like Oblivion and Quake 4. If you can't afford $400 for a 8800 GTS, then I'd definitely get the 7950GT KO 512.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
The only problem is: it's Foxconn. I haven't bought one of their cards in a long time, but I didn't have good luck with them in the past. Plus, he mentioned that he was interested in the Step-Up program.

Other than that, great find!

purplepulser

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
is foxconn stuff cheap and nasty then?

i mean are any of the major manufacturers known to use a higher standard of component?

i currently own an xfx and don't seem to have a problem with it but i've read about others who have had nothing but problems with xfx

of these which is regarded as best in terms of quality not bundled extras:

xfx, evga, asus, gigabyte, gainward, msi, pny, bfg, foxconn

same question for ATI stuff

actually the reason i bought my mb was because of the expensive rubycon capcitors Abit used

also can someone explain the reason behind "rebate", is it the same as saying well the item sells recommended retail for XXX but we are selling it for XXX less?

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Well, I'm not sure what the idea behind rebates is, but you should make sure you can get rebates in the UK. I believe some are US and Canada only.

To be honest, I've had bad luck with XFX in the past (don't kill me XFXSupport) but I would probably buy one of their newer cards because they have a good warranty and they seem to be good quality these days. Anyway, as I have stated, eVGA is my current fav. I heard some reports a year ago or so that they had started using lower-quality capacitors I believe, but I never did enough research to substantiate or disprove that. All I know is that I've never had an eVGA card crap out on me, and I have a 7600GT that I have running at 650/1700 stable for months with 0 problems (without voltmod).

I have used MSI GPUs, but only in a budget system (because I found a cheap MSI card on Newegg when I was building). But, I've never had any problems with them either.

zornundo

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
also can someone explain the reason behind "rebate", is it the same as saying well the item sells recommended retail for XXX but we are selling it for XXX less?

Rebates are one of the biggest cons in the retail world. Companies offer decent rebates to get a lower bottom-line price in ads and on store shelves. Companies know fairly well what percentage of customers will claim a rebate and so offer them with abandon. My experience with rebates is that the companies are painfully slow in paying them, and that's when they do pay. I'm still waiting on a small $10 rebate I mailed off for in mid-September. :roll:

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
Just remember that if you use the EVGA Step-Up program that the card you'll be purchasing from them will cost you the full msrp minus what you paid for your original card. Not saying it's a bad program, just something to be aware of. Also, not all EVGA cards have lifetime warranties. It depends on what their part number ends with: EVGA Lifetime Warranty Details.

purplepulser

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
Thanks , so it's basically a money back offer that relies on the lazyness of the majority of people to not bother or those that forget about it until its too late

purplepulser

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
So do you remember the last xfx card you had? i thought they were a relatively new company, is it possible they traded under a different name prior to the existence of xfx?

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Well, we bought some XFX cards for some workstations at my previous job. We bought 4 of them, and 3 of them went bad within a year, so that was the last I dealt with them (they had a fatal error with the fan that caused it to stop spinning, causing the cards to overheat). However, this was in the days of (as I recall) GeForce FX. The cards were something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150040

So it's not really surprising that they were crappy I guess. Plus, I believe XFX was still the new kid on the block at that time, so things have changed since then. Like I said: I would buy a newer XFX card, I just stick with eVGA for now because I've had excellent luck with them to date (and I like the step-up program).

purplepulser

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
thanks, i'll consider evga on my next purchase,

checking the t&c
"The EVGA Step-up™ Program is limited to residents of the Continental US, Canada and Europe only."

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
The 5200 series needed an active fan!!!????
Yeah, check the pics on that Newegg link I posted. That one has a fan.

I owned some that didn't require a fan, but I believe they were the "Lite Edition", and they had pretty OK-sized heatsinks.

Sugarcane

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2005
Well, I ended up getting it not long after my initial post. Even came w/ a $20 rebate. As long as it runs all my games @ 1680x1050 over 30fps, I'm happy. Hell, it runs everything I throw at it with at least 40+fps and max eye candy, so I can't complain at all. Yeah, the 1950xt might run @ 50fps for what I do, but it's not a big deal to me.