Restoring a user profile from a .bak folder.

When I powered up today, (Win2000 Pro on a Dell XPS T500) my user profile
wouldn't load. I don't remember the error message (didn't record it - corrupt
profile or something?) then a brand-spanking-new admistrator profile appeared
as if I'd reinstalled the OS. I'm running 2000 pro. I had just updated to
Adobe Acro Reader 7.0 which had been giving errors.
I found the administrator.bak folder assume it is a backup - it seems to
have the correct info from my old profile, but don't know how to restore it.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mark

"Mark VanDerwater" <MarkVanDerwater@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:91823862-E7AE-498D-83AA-57800B675CDD@microsoft.com...
> When I powered up today, (Win2000 Pro on a Dell XPS T500) my user profile
> wouldn't load. I don't remember the error message (didn't record it -
corrupt
> profile or something?) then a brand-spanking-new admistrator profile
appeared
> as if I'd reinstalled the OS. I'm running 2000 pro. I had just updated
> Adobe Acro Reader 7.0 which had been giving errors.
> I found the administrator.bak folder assume it is a backup - it seems to
> have the correct info from my old profile, but don't know how to restore
it.
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

I am not aware of any process in Windows that creates a .bak
profile folder. However, there is no harm in trying it out. Do this:
- Create a second admin account.
- Reboot the PC.
- Log on under the second admin account.
- Give the new (and unwanted) profile folder a different name.
- Rename the .bak folder to "administrator".
- Log on as the primary administrator.

Does it work?

Like a charm.
Thank You!

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> "Mark VanDerwater" <MarkVanDerwater@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:91823862-E7AE-498D-83AA-57800B675CDD@microsoft.com...
> > When I powered up today, (Win2000 Pro on a Dell XPS T500) my user profile
> > wouldn't load. I don't remember the error message (didn't record it -
> corrupt
> > profile or something?) then a brand-spanking-new admistrator profile
> appeared
> > as if I'd reinstalled the OS. I'm running 2000 pro. I had just updated
> > Adobe Acro Reader 7.0 which had been giving errors.
> > I found the administrator.bak folder assume it is a backup - it seems to
> > have the correct info from my old profile, but don't know how to restore
> it.
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mark
>
> I am not aware of any process in Windows that creates a .bak
> profile folder. However, there is no harm in trying it out. Do this:
> - Create a second admin account.
> - Reboot the PC.
> - Log on under the second admin account.
> - Give the new (and unwanted) profile folder a different name.
> - Rename the .bak folder to "administrator".
> - Log on as the primary administrator.
>
> Does it work?

sruli

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
The same thing happenned to me this evening, in W2k. I eventually tried what was suggested here. I also tried to do what Microsoft suggestst about restoring a profile in W2k. Anyway, it seems to have worked, except that certain odd, relatively insignificant environmental settings have been taken to defauilt. (Desktop colour, icons, IEcache size...)

Like a charm.
Thank You!