Restoring a user profile from a .bak folder.

When I powered up today, (Win2000 Pro on a Dell XPS T500) my user profile
wouldn't load. I don't remember the error message (didn't record it - corrupt
profile or something?) then a brand-spanking-new admistrator profile appeared
as if I'd reinstalled the OS. I'm running 2000 pro. I had just updated to
Adobe Acro Reader 7.0 which had been giving errors.
I found the administrator.bak folder assume it is a backup - it seems to
have the correct info from my old profile, but don't know how to restore it.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mark
3 answers Last reply
More about restoring user profile folder

    "Mark VanDerwater" <MarkVanDerwater@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:91823862-E7AE-498D-83AA-57800B675CDD@microsoft.com...
    > When I powered up today, (Win2000 Pro on a Dell XPS T500) my user profile
    > wouldn't load. I don't remember the error message (didn't record it -
    corrupt
    > profile or something?) then a brand-spanking-new admistrator profile
    appeared
    > as if I'd reinstalled the OS. I'm running 2000 pro. I had just updated
    > Adobe Acro Reader 7.0 which had been giving errors.
    > I found the administrator.bak folder assume it is a backup - it seems to
    > have the correct info from my old profile, but don't know how to restore
    it.
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mark

    I am not aware of any process in Windows that creates a .bak
    profile folder. However, there is no harm in trying it out. Do this:
    - Create a second admin account.
    - Reboot the PC.
    - Log on under the second admin account.
    - Give the new (and unwanted) profile folder a different name.
    - Rename the .bak folder to "administrator".
    - Log on as the primary administrator.

    Does it work?

    Like a charm.
    Thank You!

    "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

    > "Mark VanDerwater" <MarkVanDerwater@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:91823862-E7AE-498D-83AA-57800B675CDD@microsoft.com...
    > > When I powered up today, (Win2000 Pro on a Dell XPS T500) my user profile
    > > wouldn't load. I don't remember the error message (didn't record it -
    > corrupt
    > > profile or something?) then a brand-spanking-new admistrator profile
    > appeared
    > > as if I'd reinstalled the OS. I'm running 2000 pro. I had just updated
    > > Adobe Acro Reader 7.0 which had been giving errors.
    > > I found the administrator.bak folder assume it is a backup - it seems to
    > > have the correct info from my old profile, but don't know how to restore
    > it.
    > > Any ideas?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Mark
    >
    > I am not aware of any process in Windows that creates a .bak
    > profile folder. However, there is no harm in trying it out. Do this:
    > - Create a second admin account.
    > - Reboot the PC.
    > - Log on under the second admin account.
    > - Give the new (and unwanted) profile folder a different name.
    > - Rename the .bak folder to "administrator".
    > - Log on as the primary administrator.
    >
    > Does it work?

  3. The same thing happenned to me this evening, in W2k. I eventually tried what was suggested here. I also tried to do what Microsoft suggestst about restoring a profile in W2k. Anyway, it seems to have worked, except that certain odd, relatively insignificant environmental settings have been taken to defauilt. (Desktop colour, icons, IEcache size...)

    Quote:

    Like a charm.
    Thank You!

    "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

    > "Mark VanDerwater" <MarkVanDerwater@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:91823862-E7AE-498D-83AA-57800B675CDD@microsoft.com...
    > > When I powered up today, (Win2000 Pro on a Dell XPS T500) my user profile
    > > wouldn't load. I don't remember the error message (didn't record it -
    > corrupt
    > > profile or something?) then a brand-spanking-new admistrator profile
    > appeared
    > > as if I'd reinstalled the OS. I'm running 2000 pro. I had just updated
    > > Adobe Acro Reader 7.0 which had been giving errors.
    > > I found the administrator.bak folder assume it is a backup - it seems to
    > > have the correct info from my old profile, but don't know how to restore
    > it.
    > > Any ideas?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Mark
    >
    > I am not aware of any process in Windows that creates a .bak
    > profile folder. However, there is no harm in trying it out. Do this:
    > - Create a second admin account.
    > - Reboot the PC.
    > - Log on under the second admin account.
    > - Give the new (and unwanted) profile folder a different name.
    > - Rename the .bak folder to "administrator".
    > - Log on as the primary administrator.
    >
    > Does it work?

Dell Studio Xps Windows