Changing drive letters?

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
April 25, 2005 1:47:09 PM

Drives E och F on my computer are external drives, one of them my backup
drive, and the other a removable disk (a Cruzer Micro stick).

Now, I happened to change the drive letters: the backup disk which used to
be E has become F, and the other one has become E.

I would like to change that - but how do I do?

More about : changing drive letters

Anonymous
April 26, 2005 12:39:55 AM

"Hans Näslund" <hans.naslund@spray.se> wrote in message
> Drives E och F on my computer are external drives, one of them my backup
> drive, and the other a removable disk (a Cruzer Micro stick).
>
> Now, I happened to change the drive letters: the backup disk which used to
> be E has become F, and the other one has become E.
>
> I would like to change that - but how do I do?

The usual way is to change them in the Disk Manager
(diskmgmt.msc). If the drives are not visible there then
you can change the letters directly in the registry. Navigate
to HKLM\SYSTEM\MountedDevices and rename the
values \DosDevices\E: and DosDevices\F: to whatever
drive letter you like. Reboot after renaming them.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 12:39:56 AM

Thanks a lot!

Hans