Unable to connect Help.

xwings

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
I installed Netgear card into my sister computer so she can connect to here Linksys router.
I had nothing but problem. I unsecure the net work to see if I could connect. It shows up when I hit connect. It just try to connect and stop after a minute or so.
Several times I got it to connect but can't go on the internet.
The signal is exellent.
I thought that connecting to unsecure network should be a piece of cake.
Under the encyption I left it disable and chose between open or share. none of them seem to work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

mikeyp410

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Not all Cards work with other manufacturers. That may be your problem. Try to match the card and AP with the same manufacturers to make sure that they work. You may want to call Linksys or Netgear and find out if they are compatible??

icemann77

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2005
all cards are compatible as long as they are on the same network b/g.what you need to check there are the wireless settings of the linksys router and then the tcp/ip of your netgear card.maybe try to change the ssid of the linksys and also delete preferred networks under your wireless pc.i hope this helps. :wink:

jjw

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
802.11b/g cards should be compatable, even between brands. I don't believe the MFG of wireless gear (Netgear/Linksys/etc) are locked into specific component supplier (broadcom/atheros/etc) This is why the standards are written (802.11b/g/(n*)) *If the N standard ever gets finalized!

It is possible that there are configuration issues. Different manufactures can have very different setups for enabling encription.

In addition it is possible on my netgear router (802.11g) to disable 802.11b connections. 802.11a is not compatable with b/g/n* Never will be, it is at a different frequency spectrum.

Can the original poster describe the hardware used with more detail.

jjw

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
My setup has WPA enabled, Netgear router/access point and compaq laptop(s) Before my current router I had a Microsoft 802.11b router that did not support WPA but WEP did work with my compaq.

WPA and WEP do work across different hardware. Otherwise nobody would buy a laptop with built in wireless. That doesn't mean that companies can't screw up and build an incompatable box/firmware. Most hardware is certified (look on the box) to one standard or another.

mikeyp410

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Yes there has been improvements since the early hardware but there was a real issue with some manufaturers not workign with others. There is a article on this site that actually mentions some of it happening. I have never had a issue myself but have read alot of stuff on it that says alot about it.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Try deleting your current connections, reboot and setup the wireless. Some time MS doesn't know what to use. The only way to correct it is to purge it's brain.

Also if the Linksys router and pc are too close it can cause problems too. Make sure the router is set to G Only.

Also make sure you set the pc to connect to AP only. And kill connect to any available network. You want connection to only know networks. It's part of MS not so good idea on security.