why does Windows Installer appear?

This evening after making complete antivirus and antispyware scans, as well
as a registry repair, using a number of different programs, there is this
problem: when starting up, the computer shows a "Windows Installer
preparing" notice appears. (But it does not say what is being installed).
The sign disappears by itself as startup continues, and there does not seem
to be any problem with how the computer is working. It is not a big deal
because it disappears, but I would like to know how to fix it anyway.

Thanks
in advance

"Francis Marsden" <fake@fake.fake> wrote:

>This evening after making complete antivirus and antispyware scans, as well
>as a registry repair, using a number of different programs, there is this
>problem: when starting up, the computer shows a "Windows Installer
>preparing" notice appears. (But it does not say what is being installed).
>The sign disappears by itself as startup continues, and there does not seem
>to be any problem with how the computer is working. It is not a big deal
>because it disappears, but I would like to know how to fix it anyway.

See if this helps:
"How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310560)
"How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310353).

--
(tm)

Hi Francis,

The Event Log might give a clue. Also see if the note below helps:
http://groups.google.co.in/groups?hl=en&lr=&selm=uBlFt168EHA.2196%40TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User