New rig won't POST / no beeps - help :(

highfructose

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
Just got finished building a new rig - Gigabyte GA-965P-S3, Core2duo e6300, 2x1GB Patriot DDR2-800, evga 7900gs, 500w antec - and it won't POST. No beeps, no nothing. I've reduced the setup to just cpu and mobo cables (24pin and 4pin), still the same result.

What I see happening is this: Hit the power button, PSU fan comes on immediately. When the vid card was connected its fan would come on as well. Then, 2-3 seconds later, the CPU fan starts (this delay seems odd to me). The fans spin fine after it gets up and running, but I get no POST, no beep codes, nothing to help me figure out what's wrong.

My initial thought was the ram, I *believe* it's 1.9-2.2v (can anyone confirm? it's model PDC22G6400ELK), and I understand 965s won't POST if they have anything over 1.8v. But shouldn't I get some feedback if I'm booting with no ram (and/or video card) at all?

Or are there any other unique issues about this board (historically, I've dealt with mobos that had issues with certain PCI cards being in certain slots, not POSTing if no video card is detected, etc) outside of the norm that I should be considering?

Most of these parts are different compared to all my spares - I've only got 20pin PSUs, DDR1 ram, AGP video cards, etc, so it's hard to swap stuff out and test individual components, unfortunately. But the standard ATX and 12v (24pin and 4pin) cables are connected fine, and it looks like all the frontpanel cables are correct - it does power on, after all. What else could I be overlooking here?