best gigabit switch... for home use?

k61824

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2005
I am looking for a good gigabit switch for home use with a max of 8 ports (I can live with less) Jumbo frames is not a concern (yes, most of my mobo with gigabit ports has no specs whether they have these, so I will assume they don't)

I'll use 4x 100ft cat5e cables + a short (undecided length, but <=10ft) cable between switches on it (may expand later, that's where the 8 ports comes from)

I am using D-Link DGL4100 as a router for my home connection (it has computers hooked up on it as well) should that happen to be important

budget is not a concern right now, but I would like to know how much it'll cost (not that I'll have the knowledge/experience to use a managed switch properly anyways)

any thoughts?

Madwand

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
You can spend as much as you want. What do you want to do with this switch?

You can get consumer unmanaged switches that'll do 8 ports non-blocking gigabit for around $60 USD. (E.g. D-Link DGS-1008D.)

You can get small business "smart" switches that'll do 16 ports non-blocking gigabit and link aggregation for around $250-$350 USD. E.g. Linksys SRW2016, D-Link DGS-1216T.

You can get fully managed switches for more.

joxx

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
I recently bought a Dell PowerConnect 2716 and am very happy with it. 16 gigports, jumboframes, no fan, manageable etc. Those were my main criterias. The Dell was the only one that fitted, and with a very decent pricetag.

If you don't need 16 ports the 2708 is much smaller. It lacks the jumboframes but has all the other features.