Connecting USB printer resets Windows 2000

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Hi,

I'm having difficulty with USB printing under Windows 2000. Just switching
on the printer (Epson Stylus Photo 870) causes the machine to reset
immediately and on reboot, I'm faced with a blue screen of death as follows:

STOP: 0x0000001E (0xC0000005, 0x8041E32D,0x00000000,0x000000­1D)
KODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

etc.

Turning off the printer allows the machine to boot normally.

The problem was introduced when switching from a VIA KT133 motherboard to an
NVIDA Nforce2 and is definately software related because I can boot
successfully from a parallel install of Windows 2000 on the same machine.

Other USB peripherals, including a gamepad and external hard-drive, work
flawlessly.

What I've tried so far:

- All suggestions in the Microsoft Knowledge Base relating to the above stop
condition (so no knee-jerk responses solely consisting of KB links please!)
- Removal of all VIA-related drivers and registry keys left over from my old
board.
- In-place install of Windows 2000. Fixes the problem, but wipes out all my
applications, so not a very useful solution. I've restored the original
from backups now.
- Update of computer type from "ACPI PC" to "ACPI uniprocessor PC", matching
the way the PC was identified in the parallel install. This cured a problem
with interrupts being stacked up on IRQ9, but evidently that wasn't the
cause of the original issue.
- Removal of all EPSON drivers and registry keys.
- Removal of all USB-related drivers and registry keys. The machine will
then reboot okay, as you'd expect, but resets as soon as "USB printing
support" is reinstalled.
- Test of system files using sfc.
- Reinstallation of service pack 4.

Does anyone have any further suggestions which do not involve a
reinstallation of 2K? I'm running out of ideas!

Regards,
Dave

I had a similar problem when plugging a USB 2.0 device into an older motherboard that had 1.1
support. I solved the problem by adding a 2.0 card.

--
#include <standard.disclaimer>
_

So you've got a windows install on different hardware (motherboard)? I'm
suprised you not having more issues than you described. There's a knowledge
base article on restoring a backup to dissimilar hardware, you might want to
look for that. As a quick fix I would try sysprepping the machine. That way
when it boots back up it will run mini-setup and do hardware detection and
enumaration.

HTH

kevw

"Dave" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having difficulty with USB printing under Windows 2000. Just switching
> on the printer (Epson Stylus Photo 870) causes the machine to reset
> immediately and on reboot, I'm faced with a blue screen of death as follows:
>
> STOP: 0x0000001E (0xC0000005, 0x8041E32D,0x00000000,0x000000­1D)
> KODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
>
> etc.
>
> Turning off the printer allows the machine to boot normally.
>
> The problem was introduced when switching from a VIA KT133 motherboard to an
> NVIDA Nforce2 and is definately software related because I can boot
> successfully from a parallel install of Windows 2000 on the same machine.
>
> Other USB peripherals, including a gamepad and external hard-drive, work
> flawlessly.
>
> What I've tried so far:
>
> - All suggestions in the Microsoft Knowledge Base relating to the above stop
> condition (so no knee-jerk responses solely consisting of KB links please!)
> - Removal of all VIA-related drivers and registry keys left over from my old
> board.
> - In-place install of Windows 2000. Fixes the problem, but wipes out all my
> applications, so not a very useful solution. I've restored the original
> from backups now.
> - Update of computer type from "ACPI PC" to "ACPI uniprocessor PC", matching
> the way the PC was identified in the parallel install. This cured a problem
> with interrupts being stacked up on IRQ9, but evidently that wasn't the
> cause of the original issue.
> - Removal of all EPSON drivers and registry keys.
> - Removal of all USB-related drivers and registry keys. The machine will
> then reboot okay, as you'd expect, but resets as soon as "USB printing
> support" is reinstalled.
> - Test of system files using sfc.
> - Reinstallation of service pack 4.
>
> Does anyone have any further suggestions which do not involve a
> reinstallation of 2K? I'm running out of ideas!
>
> Regards,
> Dave

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

"kevw" <kevw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> So you've got a windows install on different hardware (motherboard)? I'm
> suprised you not having more issues than you described.

Heh. Yea, there were a few other problems, but nothing too difficult to
sort out.

> There's a knowledge
> base article on restoring a backup to dissimilar hardware, you might want
> look for that.

Will have a look, thanks.

> As a quick fix I would try sysprepping the machine. That way
> when it boots back up it will run mini-setup and do hardware detection and
> enumaration.

Nice idea, but the result was the same - a reset when installing USB
printing support. :-(

Regards,
Dave

TRENDING THREADS