IIS FROM WIN 2000 to XP

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
April 26, 2005 2:14:03 PM

HI

Our IIS is installed on a Windows 2000 server, I want to change from Windows
2000 server to XP Sp2.

On our IIS we have only the intranet

I'd like to know what are the inconvenients, and if Xp is better than Win2000

Thanks

More about : iis win 2000

Anonymous
April 26, 2005 5:17:47 PM

From: "Hermione" <Hermione@discussions.microsoft.com>

| HI
|
| Our IIS is installed on a Windows 2000 server, I want to change from Windows
| 2000 server to XP Sp2.
|
| On our IIS we have only the intranet
|
| I'd like to know what are the inconvenients, and if Xp is better than Win2000
|
| Thanks

You can't go from a server OS to a workstation OS. You have to wipe the system and install
WinXP from scratch !

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Hi David

I know that I have to install XP from the scratch, allready I have a lot of
problem with this station at least with Xp I can Install An antivirus and a
firewall.

For that I'm asking about the inconvenient to made Xp as IIS

Thanks

"David H. Lipman" wrote:

> From: "Hermione" <Hermione@discussions.microsoft.com>
>
> | HI
> |
> | Our IIS is installed on a Windows 2000 server, I want to change from Windows
> | 2000 server to XP Sp2.
> |
> | On our IIS we have only the intranet
> |
> | I'd like to know what are the inconvenients, and if Xp is better than Win2000
> |
> | Thanks
>
> You can't go from a server OS to a workstation OS. You have to wipe the system and install
> WinXP from scratch !
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

April 26, 2005 10:40:10 PM

Hermione wrote:
> HI
>
> Our IIS is installed on a Windows 2000 server, I want to change from Windows
> 2000 server to XP Sp2.
>

> On our IIS we have only the intranet
>
> I'd like to know what are the inconvenients, and if Xp is better than Win2000
>
> Thanks

Because WinXP is not designed to function a server OS, it's limited to
10 simultaneous network connections. This would be woefully inadequate
on any but the very smallest of LANs.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 10:42:32 PM

Hermione wrote:
> Hi David
>
> I know that I have to install XP from the scratch, allready I have a lot of
> problem with this station at least with Xp I can Install An antivirus and a
> firewall.

There's nothing to stop you from installing both an antivirus
application and a firewall on Win2K Server. In fact, I find it hard to
imagine that any business does not already so protect its LAN, outside
of a tightly controlled test environment.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 11:41:42 PM

No. XP has a limit of 10 concurrent connections. XP is NOT a server. Windows 2003 is.

--
George Hester
_________________________________
"Hermione" <Hermione@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:901E6B81-4234-423B-9941-260C1168B116@microsoft.com...
> HI
>
> Our IIS is installed on a Windows 2000 server, I want to change from Windows
> 2000 server to XP Sp2.
>

> On our IIS we have only the intranet
>
> I'd like to know what are the inconvenients, and if Xp is better than Win2000
>
> Thanks
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 1:08:12 AM

From: "Hermione" <Hermione@discussions.microsoft.com>

| Hi David
|
| I know that I have to install XP from the scratch, allready I have a lot of
| problem with this station at least with Xp I can Install An antivirus and a
| firewall.
|
| For that I'm asking about the inconvenient to made Xp as IIS
|
| Thanks

There is nothing stopping AV and FireWall software on Win2K server

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
April 27, 2005 1:29:13 PM

Hermione wrote:
> HI
>
> Our IIS is installed on a Windows 2000 server, I want to change from Windows
> 2000 server to XP Sp2.
>
> On our IIS we have only the intranet
>
> I'd like to know what are the inconvenients, and if Xp is better than Win2000

As someone said, XP is not a server Operating System. You'd
probably be better to go to Windows 2003 if you want to upgrade.

Cheers,

Cliff