Can Webcam encode to Divx with an Encoder card Dirrectly r..

Can Webcam encode to Divx with an Encoder card Dirrectly realtime ?

Can Webcam encode to Divx with an Encoder card Dirrectly realtime ?

Or does it have to save as AVi first then decode it later ???

Would save alot of space if it could encode straight to divx. even if
not realy realy tightly encoded just alot better than avi which can be
huge.

Thanks for any info.

/ps if you can recomend any card that can do this that would be great.
3 answers Last reply
More about webcam encode divx encoder card dirrectly

    Actually, you don't need an encoder card to do the compression with a
    webcam.
    AVI is just a wrapper, if you don't compress the content, the size is
    huge. However, if
    you use some encoders to compress the content, such as, Intel Indeo,
    Divx etc, you still cam get small avi file.

    For example, for a 5 seconds clip with uncompressed, the size of the
    avi fille is about 30MB, but the avi file is just about 200KB with
    Audio/Video compression!. Of course, you need some webcam software to
    do the job.

    Regards,
    Kalin

    I realy want to use a Hardware encoder card. Also much quciker to rip
    my DVDS to Divx.

    But i want to do it in REAL TIME not after its done. I tried doing
    this with a screen capture software and the software just quits after
    a certain tiime randonly my pc just can't keep it up.

    I used fraps. would rather give it to the hardware encoder and let it
    do the job. leave my CPU for the game.

    On 14 May 2005 18:31:07 -0700, "Kalin" <klliu2@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Actually, you don't need an encoder card to do the compression with a
    >webcam.
    >AVI is just a wrapper, if you don't compress the content, the size is
    >huge. However, if
    >you use some encoders to compress the content, such as, Intel Indeo,
    >Divx etc, you still cam get small avi file.
    >
    >For example, for a 5 seconds clip with uncompressed, the size of the
    >avi fille is about 30MB, but the avi file is just about 200KB with
    >Audio/Video compression!. Of course, you need some webcam software to
    >do the job.
    >
    >Regards,
    >Kalin

    I also want to do 640by480 30fps with my webcam. And i want to be able
    to use my c for other things whn iam doing it. So a hardware Encoder
    is a must.

    On Mon, 16 May 2005 01:09:34 +1000, On Holidays <abbyrow.com.uk>
    wrote:

    >I realy want to use a Hardware encoder card. Also much quciker to rip
    >my DVDS to Divx.
    >

    >But i want to do it in REAL TIME not after its done. I tried doing
    >this with a screen capture software and the software just quits after
    >a certain tiime randonly my pc just can't keep it up.
    >
    >I used fraps. would rather give it to the hardware encoder and let it
    >do the job. leave my CPU for the game.
    >

    >On 14 May 2005 18:31:07 -0700, "Kalin" <klliu2@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Actually, you don't need an encoder card to do the compression with a
    >>webcam.
    >>AVI is just a wrapper, if you don't compress the content, the size is
    >>huge. However, if
    >>you use some encoders to compress the content, such as, Intel Indeo,
    >>Divx etc, you still cam get small avi file.
    >>
    >>For example, for a 5 seconds clip with uncompressed, the size of the
    >>avi fille is about 30MB, but the avi file is just about 200KB with
    >>Audio/Video compression!. Of course, you need some webcam software to
    >>do the job.
    >>
    >>Regards,
    >>Kalin

Webcams Encode DivX Peripherals