Windows 2003 RIS

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.exchange2000.setup.installation,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

Hell friends:

I have setup a RIS on a windows 2003 member server, but I the clients on
other subnets are not able to communicate with the server. If a client boots
up from the same subnet as that of the RIS server it works fine otherwise
doesn't. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Chow.
11 answers Last reply
More about windows 2003
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.exchange2000.setup.installation,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    <eldingo> wrote in message news:#2EWXlrSFHA.3464@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > Hell friends:
    >
    > I have setup a RIS on a windows 2003 member server, but I the clients on
    > other subnets are not able to communicate with the server. If a client
    boots
    > up from the same subnet as that of the RIS server it works fine otherwise
    > doesn't. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

    Likely not a RIS problem -- most probably a name resolution
    problem.

    Both DNS and NetBIOS name resolution might have worked
    so likely both are misconfigured.

    First NetBIOS:

    The key here is that you can connect from SAME subnet
    but not from another subnet -- this implies that NetBIOS
    is broadcasting locally but that there is no WINS Server
    OR the machines are not all registered with the WINS
    server.

    If you have more than one subnet you really need a WINS
    server -- if you have a WINS server then all machines (even
    'servers') must be WINS Clients on their NIC->IP settings.

    If you have more than one WINS Server they must replicate.

    Second is DNS resolution -- you can get by without internal
    DNS servers IF you do not have Active Directory but if you
    do then again all machines need to be DNS clients of ONLY
    the same internal DNS server (set).

    Internet resolution is usually handled by the internal DNS
    server (set) forwarding to an externally resolving DNS server,
    usually the firewall/DMZ DNS or your ISP DNS server.

    --
    Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
    Accelerated MCSE

    Hi you need DNS and DHCP for RIS to work, since you are in a different subnet
    you will also need a dhcp relay agent to respond the the computer you wish to
    have talk to ris.

    --
    Jay Ferron
    ADSI, CISM, CISSP, MCDBA, MCSE, MCT, NSA - IAM

    "Herb Martin" wrote:

    > <eldingo> wrote in message news:#2EWXlrSFHA.3464@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > > Hell friends:
    > >
    > > I have setup a RIS on a windows 2003 member server, but I the clients on
    > > other subnets are not able to communicate with the server. If a client
    > boots
    > > up from the same subnet as that of the RIS server it works fine otherwise
    > > doesn't. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Likely not a RIS problem -- most probably a name resolution
    > problem.
    >
    > Both DNS and NetBIOS name resolution might have worked
    > so likely both are misconfigured.
    >
    > First NetBIOS:
    >
    > The key here is that you can connect from SAME subnet
    > but not from another subnet -- this implies that NetBIOS
    > is broadcasting locally but that there is no WINS Server
    > OR the machines are not all registered with the WINS
    > server.
    >
    > If you have more than one subnet you really need a WINS
    > server -- if you have a WINS server then all machines (even
    > 'servers') must be WINS Clients on their NIC->IP settings.
    >
    > If you have more than one WINS Server they must replicate.
    >
    > Second is DNS resolution -- you can get by without internal
    > DNS servers IF you do not have Active Directory but if you
    > do then again all machines need to be DNS clients of ONLY
    > the same internal DNS server (set).
    >
    > Internet resolution is usually handled by the internal DNS
    > server (set) forwarding to an externally resolving DNS server,
    > usually the firewall/DMZ DNS or your ISP DNS server.
    >

    > --
    > Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
    > Accelerated MCSE
    > http://www.LearnQuick.Com
    > [phone number on web site]

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    "jtferron" <suppport@interactivesecuritytraining.com.donotspam1> wrote in
    message news:91D6DCC0-C27A-4C3D-B64E-938B283128D6@microsoft.com...
    > Hi you need DNS and DHCP for RIS to work, since you are in a different
    subnet
    > you will also need a dhcp relay agent to respond the the computer you wish
    > have talk to ris.

    I can't think why I didn't mention DHCP in addition
    to DNS.

    If you have a DHCP server on the net that works then
    make sure you have a way for the "other" clients to
    get their broadcasts through to the server: Bootp
    forwarding on the router OR a relay agent on the
    net without a DHCP server.

    You also must have a "scope" on the DHCP server
    with available addresses that corresponds to each
    subnet they serve.

    Your router may call the "bootp forwarding" something
    else (DNS Helper, IP helper, RFC 1542 compliance...)

    --
    Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
    Accelerated MCSE

    Hi,

    In addition to the other answer you must enable bootp broadcast thru the
    routers since connecting to a RIS server is a DHCP broadcast.

    Leif
    PS: This is an Exchange 200x news group

    <eldingo> skrev i en meddelelse
    > Hell friends:
    >
    > I have setup a RIS on a windows 2003 member server, but I the clients on
    > other subnets are not able to communicate with the server. If a client
    boots
    > up from the same subnet as that of the RIS server it works fine otherwise
    > doesn't. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Chow.

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.exchange2000.setup.installation,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    "Leif Pedersen [MVP]" <leif.pedersenNOSPAM@get2net.dk> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > In addition to the other answer you must enable bootp broadcast thru the
    > routers since connecting to a RIS server is a DHCP broadcast.

    Is that literally true?

    Cannot a relay agent suffice?

    Cannot the DHCP instruct the client where to find the
    RIS once the client has its IP?
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.exchange2000.setup.installation,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Hi,

    A relay agent should also work.

    Leif

    "Herb Martin" <news@LearnQuick.com> skrev i en meddelelse
    > "Leif Pedersen [MVP]" <leif.pedersenNOSPAM@get2net.dk> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > In addition to the other answer you must enable bootp broadcast thru the
    > > routers since connecting to a RIS server is a DHCP broadcast.
    >
    > Is that literally true?
    >
    > Cannot a relay agent suffice?
    >
    > Cannot the DHCP instruct the client where to find the
    > RIS once the client has its IP?

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Yes, you can configure the RIS server address in the router IP helper
    tables. You can also use options 60, 66, and 67. See
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;259670

    Nick

    > "Leif Pedersen [MVP]" <leif.pedersenNOSPAM@get2net.dk> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> In addition to the other answer you must enable bootp broadcast thru the
    >> routers since connecting to a RIS server is a DHCP broadcast.
    >
    > Is that literally true?
    >
    > Cannot a relay agent suffice?
    >
    > Cannot the DHCP instruct the client where to find the
    > RIS once the client has its IP?

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.exchange2000.setup.installation,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    > Hi,
    >
    > A relay agent should also work.

    What about the referral of the client from the DHCP server
    to the RIS server?

    --
    Herb Martin

    > Leif
    >
    > "Herb Martin" <news@LearnQuick.com> skrev i en meddelelse
    > > "Leif Pedersen [MVP]" <leif.pedersenNOSPAM@get2net.dk> wrote in message
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > In addition to the other answer you must enable bootp broadcast thru
    the
    > > > routers since connecting to a RIS server is a DHCP broadcast.
    > >
    > > Is that literally true?
    > >
    > > Cannot a relay agent suffice?
    > >
    > > Cannot the DHCP instruct the client where to find the
    > > RIS once the client has its IP?

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.exchange2000.setup.installation,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Hi,

    Have you seen this?
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;257579

    > "Leif Pedersen [MVP]" <leif.pedersenNOSPAM@get2net.dk> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > A relay agent should also work.
    >
    > What about the referral of the client from the DHCP server
    > to the RIS server?
    >

    > --
    > Herb Martin
    >

    > > Leif
    > >
    > > "Herb Martin" <news@LearnQuick.com> skrev i en meddelelse
    > > > "Leif Pedersen [MVP]" <leif.pedersenNOSPAM@get2net.dk> wrote in
    message

    > the
    > > >
    > > > Is that literally true?
    > > >
    > > > Cannot a relay agent suffice?
    > > >
    > > > Cannot the DHCP instruct the client where to find the
    > > > RIS once the client has its IP?

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.exchange2000.setup.installation,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    > Hi,
    >
    > Have you seen this?
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;257579

    [The fellow who wrote that article seems a bit confused
    (or perhaps muddled is better word) about the difference
    between BootP FORWARDING and DHCP RELAY Agents.]

    The key is that the original broadcasts have to be transmitted
    to the DHCP (and RIS server) on across the router -- this does
    not necessarily mean that the router has to allow the broadcasts
    nor that the router in particular needs to be a "relay agant".

    There is a good article referenced in that first article which
    gives the exact sequence of DHCP Discover, Offer, Response
    etc to and from both the DHCP and the RIS server:

    Description of PXE Interaction Among PXE Client, DHCP, and RIS Server

    Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
    Accelerated MCSE
    http://www.LearnQuick.Com
    [phone number on web site]
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.exchange2000.setup.installation,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Thanks for your help.
    I am about make changes in DHCP options
    So I just type in the IP address of RIS server for option #66 ?
    what about option #67 (bootfile Name)?

    Thanks again
    <eldingo> wrote in message news:%232EWXlrSFHA.3464@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > Hell friends:
    >
    > I have setup a RIS on a windows 2003 member server, but I the clients on
    > other subnets are not able to communicate with the server. If a client
    > boots up from the same subnet as that of the RIS server it works fine
    > otherwise doesn't. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Chow.

Windows Server 2003 Microsoft Servers Windows