VPN CONNECTION HELP

Hi Guys,

Here is the senario:

I have windows 2000 server with service pack 1. I am running Windows 2000
server as domain controller. I have three client computers running windows xp
service pack 2. All the local client pc on the LAN are all connecting to the
server perfectly. I have some shared folders on the server that all local pc
are able to connect to. I turned on Routing and Remote access on widows 2003
server. I setup the vpn client on my laptop which is running windows xp
service pack 2. I typed in the server address of my office. I port fwd
1723,500,51,50 to my server private lan address on my linksys router. My
router is my dhcp server. Even on the client on the client side i uncheck
use remote default gateway. I am able to log in but I unable to see the
shared files. What do i do. My home laptop is not on the domain like rest of
the client pc are at work. If i type in the unc address of server on local
pcs at work it will show me all the shared files, but if i do the same on my
laptop from after connecting successfully to the server, it says " WIndows
cannot find \\srv1....

Why does that happen. Can someone help me see the shared files on the
server. Does my laptop need to be on the domain in order to see the shared
file or i can stay in workgroup.?
Let me know what i have to do fix this problem. my own propertary software
needs to access the shared folder in order to have access to the database.

Ankit Shah

"Ankit Shah" <AnkitShah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Guys,
>
> Here is the senario:
>
> I have windows 2000 server with service pack 1. I am running Windows 2000
> server as domain controller. I have three client computers running windows
xp
> service pack 2. All the local client pc on the LAN are all connecting to
the
> server perfectly. I have some shared folders on the server that all local
pc
> are able to connect to. I turned on Routing and Remote access on widows
2003
> server. I setup the vpn client on my laptop which is running windows xp
> service pack 2. I typed in the server address of my office. I port fwd
> 1723,500,51,50 to my server private lan address on my linksys router. My
> router is my dhcp server. Even on the client on the client side i uncheck
> use remote default gateway. I am able to log in but I unable to see the
> shared files. What do i do. My home laptop is not on the domain like rest
of
> the client pc are at work. If i type in the unc address of server on local
> pcs at work it will show me all the shared files, but if i do the same on
my
> laptop from after connecting successfully to the server, it says " WIndows
> cannot find \\srv1....
>
> Why does that happen. Can someone help me see the shared files on the
> server. Does my laptop need to be on the domain in order to see the shared
> file or i can stay in workgroup.?
> Let me know what i have to do fix this problem. my own propertary software
> needs to access the shared folder in order to have access to the database.
>

> Ankit Shah

- What are the internal IP addresses of the two machines involved (the
server
and the remote client)?
- What happens when you start a Command Prompt on the remote client
and type this command:
telnet aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd 1723
where aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd is the external IP address of your server.

the internal ip address scheme for the server is 192.168.63.5 while the
client which my laptop at home the ip address scheme is 192.168.0.100.
When i use telnet it connection host is drop. I can connect to the server,
but i can't access the shared folders. It shows the vpn connection and it
gives me the details.

Device Name: WAN Miniport (PPTP)
Device Type: VPN
Server Type: PPP
Transport: TCP/IP
Authentication MS CHAP V2
Encryption: MPPE 128
Compression MPPC
PPP Multilink framing: off
Service IP Address: 192.168.63.157
Client IP address:192.168.63.157

I can connect to the server, but i can't access any of the files. What
should i do. Is there something i am doing wrong. Please let me know.

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> "Ankit Shah" <AnkitShah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > Here is the senario:
> >
> > I have windows 2000 server with service pack 1. I am running Windows 2000
> > server as domain controller. I have three client computers running windows
> xp
> > service pack 2. All the local client pc on the LAN are all connecting to
> the
> > server perfectly. I have some shared folders on the server that all local
> pc
> > are able to connect to. I turned on Routing and Remote access on widows
> 2003
> > server. I setup the vpn client on my laptop which is running windows xp
> > service pack 2. I typed in the server address of my office. I port fwd
> > 1723,500,51,50 to my server private lan address on my linksys router. My
> > router is my dhcp server. Even on the client on the client side i uncheck
> > use remote default gateway. I am able to log in but I unable to see the
> > shared files. What do i do. My home laptop is not on the domain like rest
> of
> > the client pc are at work. If i type in the unc address of server on local
> > pcs at work it will show me all the shared files, but if i do the same on
> my
> > laptop from after connecting successfully to the server, it says " WIndows
> > cannot find \\srv1....
> >
> > Why does that happen. Can someone help me see the shared files on the
> > server. Does my laptop need to be on the domain in order to see the shared
> > file or i can stay in workgroup.?
> > Let me know what i have to do fix this problem. my own propertary software
> > needs to access the shared folder in order to have access to the database.
> >

> > Ankit Shah
>
> - What are the internal IP addresses of the two machines involved (the
> server
> and the remote client)?
> - What happens when you start a Command Prompt on the remote client
> and type this command:
> telnet aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd 1723
> where aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd is the external IP address of your server.

I suggest you disable all firewalls you have installed on
the remote client during your tests. If you use ZoneAlarm
then you must uninstall it - it is notorious for blocking
packets even when disabled.

You must also disable the server software firewall during
your tests.

If you still have problems then I suggest you try to set
up a VPN to some ordinary Win2000/XP workstation
in your office. It gives you more scope to play around.
You will, of course, have to set up an additional tunnel
through your hardware firewall.

> [...]
WIndows
> > > cannot find \\srv1....
> > >
> > > Why does that happen. Can someone help me see the shared files on the
> > > server. Does my laptop need to be on the domain in order to see the
shared
> > > file or i can stay in workgroup.?
> > > Let me know what i have to do fix this problem. my own propertary
software
> > > needs to access the shared folder in order to have access to the
database.

> > > Ankit Shah
> >
> > - What are the internal IP addresses of the two machines involved (the
> > server
> > and the remote client)?
> > - What happens when you start a Command Prompt on the remote client
> > and type this command:
> > telnet aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd 1723
> > where aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd is the external IP address of your server.

TRENDING THREADS